Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This beauty just popped up on YachtWorld. Maybe I should sell my house ....

A boat like that, already moored on the Adriatic.......
Trying to remain rational.
I could see her moored here in Porto Montenegro.

Attachments

• Porto Montenegro.jpg
    Porto Montenegro.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 132
Initially I thought the side mounted solar panels are a head scratcher but then noticed the fold out hinges. Seems like a good idea if you don't have roof space. Any comments on locating solar panels that way?

A friend has a pair of solar panels on hinges. They hang from the lifelines of her 40' sailboat...

The theory was that she'd adjust the angle throughout the day to maximize power input. It didn't happen. She puts them horizontal and leaves them that way unless in transit.

Am I missing something? That Romsdal seems awfully cheap... I'm suspicious...

Interesting, a year younger than Florence A. I see three things that bring the price down. 1st in my view is that it is a small ship style vessel not a modern floating house. Current market seems to me to favor boats with lots of cabin space over sea keeping. 2nd problem is that the market loves FRP more than steel. Me I am a steel boat guy. It welds. I understand how to do it.
3rd I think is the engine. Gardner is my dream engine. But I work on them. Most people will look at the engine and walk because they are not "common" and there is not a dealer in every large city. What would "I" do if it needs>>>
Now I might be wrong (often am) but that is why I think it is priced less than you might think.

Identity?

Can someone please identify the maker of my dock mate here? I really like this boat.

Attachments

• dockmate.jpg
    dockmate.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 184
Can someone please identify the maker of my dock mate here? I really like this boat.

Launched 2003, called a Townsend 47, built of prefabricated fiberglass panels by Lief Knutsen for Brian Nordwall. 47' x 18'6" x 5'6", about 42,000 pounds displacement (full load) she is light, 105 HP John Deere max speed of 9 knots and cruising at 8.5. About 450 sq ft of sail.

The 29' Bigfoot is another of Knutsen's creations.....

http://www.crusaderyachts.com/searc...nits=Feet&access=Public&listing_id=74772&url=

Last edited:
Thanks Tad. I like the looks of her but am suspicious she could be a bit rolly with that length/beam/weight? Sail and fish both I see.

Thanks Tad. I like the looks of her but am suspicious she could be a bit rolly with that length/beam/weight? Sail and fish both I see.

Not really easy to roll, but very snappy to recover from rolling. And any movement will be exaggerated up in the tall pilothouse.

Passagemaker Magazine did an article on this vessel back around the time she was launched. As I recall the sail rig was quite substantial so presumably would go a long way toward dampening the roll.

Passagemaker Magazine did an article on this vessel back around the time she was launched. As I recall the sail rig was quite substantial so presumably would go a long way toward dampening the roll.

Grammar alert: I should have said "Damping the roll".

My "NEW" Favorite boat! That's something I seldom ever say! I don't recall the last time I stated the same thing; been at least a couple decades. This boat really moves me!!

Thanks for posting West. That boat, Cape Ross, can last for centuries if continually well tended to. I reviewed the linked pictures, specs, and other copy. Her name should never be changed. That is a great piece of finely designed and crafted "floating soul". Rugged X 10! Heck... She was even built in my birth year! We're kin!!

Last edited:
Beautiful refit.
Must have cost $$$... Guess at least $250k.
No indication of the asking price. :D

I think at one time it was up toward the million mark. In Canadian dollars.

Back
Top Bottom