Thread: Dual Racors
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 11:09 AM   #65
cafesport
Guru

City: Miami
Most of my boating has been with single racors and the times I've had to do insitu filter changes have been few, with non particularly difficult or time consuming. I did however have one incident on the way to a fuel dock that could have been catastrophic under other circumstances and it would not have happened if the boat had spin on filters. What happened was that that pretty little see through plastic bowl developed a crack and fuel was leaking out and running into the bilge. The 2 cycle detroit diesels didn't miss a beat and continued to run even though air was getting sucked in as fuel was running out. At the fuel dock, just as I finished adding fuel, the bilge pump went off, releasing a pulsing pink foammy mass overbaoard. OH OH. Fortunately the bilge pump was on a switch. Go to the panel throw the breaker, hop in the engine bay and close the feed line for the stb tank. Boat wasn't plumbed to run both engines off one filter and I doubt many do so with detroits returning 10 times the fuel that they actually burn. Current boat has dual racors and I must say I like the look of seeing clean fuel bowls. Our lugger primaries are racors and the same size (1gpm ) as our transfer system which moves fuel at about .3 to .4gpm depending on filter condition. Will I switch to spin-ons? Probably not. Will I have a spare bowl? No I'll have 2 but one might be metal.

OC Diver, those series 1000's (190gph) are what was spec'ed for 550 hp detroits, the 500 series are 60 gph and should be fine unless you are more than 200hp.

Via iPad using Trawler Forum