Trawlers to Cuba, 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjanacek

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Adirondack
Vessel Make
Monk 36
Cuba has loosened up a bit, but US citizens still can't legally go to and from Cuba and insurance is either impossible or impossibly expensive. There are some good cruising books, but not many Active Captain entries. I'm hoping to go there next year with a few other boats. It would be nice to have someone that speaks Spanish in the bunch. There has to be a lot more collective knowledge about the place. Write your legislators and insurance company. It could really be quite the destination before MacDonalds, Marriott, and all the other chains get there.

ActiveCaptain has 16 marina listings for Cuba which, as far as I know, is all of the public facilities available. I haven't come across one yet that isn't in the database already. Almost all have reviews with up to 10 of them already. I totally agree that it isn't much but it's a good start.

There are probably a dozen anchorages documented which isn't much. But anchoring is pretty much not allowed in Cuba - you need special approval today - so there isn't a lot of anchoring done.

I've noticed some hazards already in the database too along with some other local knowledge markers.

Can't hurt to write your legislators, but I will be absolutely shocked if any meaningful changes happen before the 2016 elections.

Just watched the NBC network news.. Sounded like things are moving quickly. I would like to see Cuba before McDonalds and Walmart.

Cuba Travel

I was fortunate to visit Cuba last month (December, 2014). Havana is a majestic city despite decay and neglect. The people are the real treasures - friendly, resilient and hopeful, despite their hardscrabble existence. I also fear the changes that may come with the lifting of travel restrictions. FYI - I was there on a people-to-people cultural exchange.

Just watched the NBC network news.. Sounded like things are moving quickly. I would like to see Cuba before McDonalds and Walmart.
Yep.....when the first WalMart opens the whole place will go to hell.

I was fortunate to visit Cuba last month (December, 2014). Havana is a majestic city despite decay and neglect. The people are the real treasures - friendly, resilient and hopeful, despite their hardscrabble existence. I also fear the changes that may come with the lifting of travel restrictions. FYI - I was there on a people-to-people cultural exchange.

I was there last year on the same type of trip, I loved the place :thumb:

When the first Walmart and McDonald's open, perhaps the people will have jobs.

When the first Walmart and McDonald's open, perhaps the people will have jobs.

And actually be able to buy the things they need.

If you think of Cuba as a tropical tourist paradise you may overlook the reality of conditions there and the needs of the people.

Now, that said, we're nowhere close to US investments in Cuban businesses.

Yep.....when the first WalMart opens the whole place will go to hell.

Walmart would be a godsend for the Cuban political elites and some tourists. A frequent question of off-loading passengers is "where's the nearest Walmart?"

Regardless, I was downhearted on my last visit to Puerto Vallarta because a Walmart adjacent to the harbor had been constructed since the last visit several years earlier. There had been lots of new commercial construction: changed the entire character of the harbor area. Hardly recognized the place.

The Walmart is to the left of this photo:

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3B%3B54%3Dot%3E2454%3D42%3B%3D66%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B538853%3A%3B245ot1lsi

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMDVRT_Wal_Mart_Puerto_Vallarta_Mexico

Last edited:
I was fortunate to visit Cuba last month (December, 2014). The people are the real treasures - friendly, resilient and hopeful, despite their hardscrabble existence. I also fear the changes that may come with the lifting of travel restrictions.

I totally agree with you. I really, really hate to see it become a tourist destination, while of course at the same time having to (reluctantly) admit that the cash coming in from the gawkers is needed. I am glad that I was able to visit it a couple of times on the sailboat (1996 and 1997).

I totally agree with you. I really, really hate to see it become a tourist destination, while of course at the same time having to (reluctantly) admit that the cash coming in from the gawkers is needed. I am glad that I was able to visit it a couple of times on the sailboat (1996 and 1997).

Did you travel there on business or for pleasure (tourism)? ...

Cuba is already a tourist destination. Per Wikipedia "Cuba recorded 2,688,000 international tourists in 2011, the third-highest figure in the Caribbean (behind the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico." Most tourists are from Canada and Western Europe.

Last edited:

I find it somewhat ironic that so many don't want it "to become" a tourist destination when that's exacly what it was previously.

I find it somewhat ironic that so many don't want it "to become" a tourist destination when that's exacly what it was previously.

And to a large extent never stopped being in the "big city". The only thing that changed was US tourists slowed to a trickle.

Walmart would be heaven sent to the average Cuban citizen as it would be a reliable source for a change. Fresh groceries, gas and almost every consumer product you can list is purchased from the black market as it's far better stocked, especially in the impoverished rural areas that have no idea what a tourist looks like. Not all areas of Cuba look like the post cards.

I do agree with a previous poster regarding the people, not much to dislike about real salt of the earth folks. If the politics of that nation ever change I believe those people could teach all of us a thing or two about entrepreneurship and a can do attitude.

Yeah. The Cuban entrepreneurs had their assets confiscated and thus escaped to the US. Most all working Cubans have, since the communist takeover, been government workers compensated for a few dollars a month. Does the country brag about income equality, like $400 a month for the typical worker and $700 a month for a medical doctor?

Most all foreigners, both here and in their countries, whom I've met are regular/nice people. Humanity has much in common.

Last edited:
I just started a Facebook group called "Cruising Cuba." Join to get or contribute. Write your legislators.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom