View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #42
ghost
Guru

City: Anacortes
Ski, well said.

Am I the only one who already sees members of the planing set torturing data until it tells them what they want to hear?

With the majority of trawler owners operating planing hulls (semi displacement included) and operating them as such (see the current thread on this topic). I see this trend going back to the future of mfg over propped boats to make specs look better and little more. Recreational boats do tend to tolerate some degree of over propping in practical use, but there is also a pretty strong history of garden variety engine failures when inevitably pushed. One of the few routine causes of recreational engine failure outside of cooling system failures. Those in the planing hull set would very rarely be able to objectively measure a significant decrease in drag at a common speed or at least no more so than those who "objectively" show benefits from adding acetone in their fuel. So ultimately, the problem is a wildly unfavorable risk/reward ratio. I don't mind consciously taking risks, but I do want to see clear benefits when I do so. I gamble when the upside is significant. The benefits to be gained here, when they exist, are small in nature.

For those in the displacement set, I see benefits, no argument from me.

Anyway, for most here, I just don't get it. I'll try to keep an open mind, but objectively I'm not getting there yet.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote