Old 01-20-2015, 10:59 AM   #54
Pau Hana
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebopbogo View Post
I just finished repainting my Cal 39's topsides with Awlgrip. Yes, it had to dry overnight between coats, but in the grand scheme of things, sanding and prepping the mother took way more time than the wait time between the two coats of Awlgrip. I spent 8 days sanding, filling, sanding, washing, priming, sanding, washing, priming, sanding and washing. Whew! The application of Awlgrip was actually fun! Quick, easy, and immediately gratifying!

With no painting experience to speak of, I just rolled it on with West System foam rollers and didn't tip. The paint flattened itself right out for a mirror finish. Amazing stuff! Total cost including haul-out and supplies with myself and a couple friends supplying the labor: just under $1000.

A couple months after application I had a pretty good smack on the dock. It was basically a Capt'n Ron style approach gone wrong, haha. Anyway, it was a good sideswipe along the hard rubber lining on the dock and waddya know: not a scratch! That Awlgrip is hard!

Here is a step-by-step guide complete with products used, price breakdown, and plenty of photos:

Top Paint | 1978 Cal 39 MkII Sailboat

Simply put- brilliant!

I like seeing DIY jobs come off so well!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote