View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 10:41 PM   #70
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
What's below the WL means little to most here.....
I think that's an extremely inaccurate assumtion. While a lot of boaters may not know all the forumulas for figuring out the right curve of a buttock line or whatever, I think most boaters are very cognizent of what their hulls look like below the water line and have reasons for liking (or not liking) what they have.

We selected the boat we did for our PNW boat precisely because it has a full keel that extends down lower than the rudders and the props, and precisely because it has a deep forefoot to help slice though the steep, closely spaced wind waves that are common on the inside waters, and preciscely because it has a flatter after section with sharp chines to reduce the roll amount and let us go faster than our cruise speed if we should feel we need to.

Our good friends with the custom lobsterboat know exactly how their hull works at speeds of 15 knots and at 9 knots and why faster speeds give a better ride in rougher water and about the effects their keel has on directional stability and speed. Again, they may not have all the hydrodynamics knowledge of how one arrives at a hull design like theirs, but they know damn well how it works and how to take advantage of it.

And of course I daresay that serious sailboaters probably know more about the finesses of underwater hull design than anybody.

So I think the notion that most powerboaters, particularly cruising powerboaters, don't care or know about the why's of their hull designs and are only concerned about whether or not they can fit a full-size Lazy-Boy recliner into the cabin is bollocks.

We may not have a design engineer's knowledge of how our hulls are shaped and why, but I believe most of us have a working man's knowledge of our hull's behavior and why it behaves the way it does and how to use the hull's design and behavior to our benefit. That's been my observation, anyway, based on the casual conversations I've had with boaters I've met on the docks or in the yard over the years.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote