Nebe looking for guidance and knowledge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm new at this and I thought I would check with the experts and experienced people that have already done what I am desiring to do. And that is buying the perfect trawler for me to travel around the world enjoying and embracing life as it is meant to be. So anybody that will share their knowledge and wisdom with me will be greatly appreciated. I will be attending the Trawler Fest In Riveria Beach this January so give me a shout if you can help me with my desires. My email is valhenry@emabarqmail.com hope to hear from some sharing and caring people.

Looking for the perfect Trawler
GIOS

Welcome to the forum . Trawler fest will be a good place to meet lots of owners and see trawlers in "person"

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but there isn't a perfect trawler. It's all a compromise.

And that is buying the perfect trawler for me to travel around the world S

Very few people travel around the world in a trawler. You need to think what that means to you and if that's really your desire. A huge difference in traveling the continent and the world. Then it's how much you intend to cross oceans or will you ship it. Crossing oceans requires a different boat and if that's your primary intent, that eliminates the vast majority of boats owned by people here.

I'm just looking for a trawler that has some long range weather I travel around the world or not I'm looking for a trawler that has long range abilities. Like I said I'm still learning what I need to know in living on board and moving around the seas. Any help will be greatly appreciated
GIOS

Yes Trawler fest would be a great place to go

Make a list of your desires and find a boat with as many as you can

finding a perfect boat would be very hard not saying it can not be done but to find the boat as close to perfect

how many people will live on it

how far will you travel

what areas will you travel

many many more questions

Welcome and good luck

The perfect trawler for you is probably available at a price, but be aware that perfect blue water trawlers might be the rarest of all. Start doing searches on Yachtworld.com for the kinds of boat features and styles that support the kind of cruising you'd like to pursue. You'll eventually find your compromise. Have fun.

P.S. Check out the thread "Interesting Boats" and the Romsdal steel trawler just posted.

Last edited:
Budget drives your decision. You can get a near perfect trans oceanic trawler from between 1 and 5 million dollars.

You need to keep in mind that all boats have tradeoffs. For instance, as you go larger and more long distance capable, you also get into boats that would require a crew or into boats with 7'+ drafts that make many prime cruising areas difficult or off limits. You need to back up to how you intend to use it. The 95% of the time use and the other 5%. I don't know how much time you've spent on such boats, but chartering is an excellent way to learn what you like and dislike.

When you say you're new at this, do you have a plan for getting training?

Some question to be answered first....

@lookingforperfecttrawler:

If you can address these questions first I think myself or others on this forum can better help you get to your perfect trawler:

1. What is your budget?
2. What is the longest passage you think you'll make?
3. 90% of the time how many people will be on board?
4. Are slip fees a critical issue for you?
5. Is a shallow draft critical?
6. Is low air draft critical?
7. Do you want self-sustainability or will do you mind running the generator several hours per day?
8. Is fuel efficiency a priority?
9. Will you have a crew to help run the boat or will it be just you and possibly +1?
10. What is your preference: Steel, FRP, Aluminum or Wood?
11. Do you require get home capabilities and, if so, which type do you prefer, twin engines, a small get home engine or sail assist?
12. Do you plan to travel the Northwest Passage or to Antarctica?
13. What are your deal breakers?

Starting with the answers to these few questions will help greatly to narrow down the search for your perfect trawler. Note: Without this information it will be very difficult for TF members to help you get to your perfect trawler.

Last edited:
What size trawler can a newbe handle getting use to the live aboard status by himself comfortablely? Just curious to see what the experienced Live aboard travelers have to say. How much daily maintence is required to do on a 66 ft trawler and is that to large for a beginner to handle by themselves?

If possessing a 66-foot motor vessel, I'd consider having professional, resident crew aboard. (Hypothetically. Can't afford either.)

What size trawler can a newbe handle getting use to the live aboard status by himself comfortablely? Just curious to see what the experienced Live aboard travelers have to say. How much daily maintence is required to do on a 66 ft trawler and is that to large for a beginner to handle by themselves?

An inexperienced couple can (I know of such a couple) in fact do it but it's a steep learning curve. There's not set daily maintenance it's what pops up and has to be fixed.

But would recommend starting off small. At first when we got our boat we thought it was huge and complicated (don't get me wrong it is) but now that we've gotten used to it, it's not. Up ahead we've been thinking about jumping to a bigger boat.

Last edited:
I've run 55-65 footers single handed a number of times but only on short delivery trips (under 200 miles, length of Lake Ontario) but wouldn't recommend it on a regular basis.
My wife and I routinely delivered boats in that size range between The Great Lakes and Florida, that always went well as long as I did what I was told :)

Either my wife or I could fix pretty much anything on the boat. Give it twenty years or so and you can do the same.

Last edited:

First we must define beginner. If that's beginner to all boats, then a 30' is too much. The first important thing is getting training. Then look at boat options.

Now to a relatively new boater a 66' trawler is a bit much unless you leave it at the dock. Performing the maintenance when using it and handling it in difficult conditions are just things you're not going to be prepared to do for a while. At the least you'd need a crew person for a while. Maybe not 20 years but certainly a couple or more before one would be even close to handling it alone as new.

For a first boat, honestly 30' is a good number or maybe as much as 40'. With a little experience 50' isn't difficult. But beyond that gets to be a little different world.

Thank you all for sharing your wisdom this gives me a lot to research and study. I have found that they offer coarses on handling a trawler in Naples Florida I'll be checking into them thanks everybody for sharing
GIOS

Thank you all for sharing your wisdom this gives me a lot to research and study. I have found that they offer coarses on handling a trawler in Naples Florida I'll be checking into them thanks everybody for sharing
GIOS

The west coast of Florida is also a great area for chartering.

Handling a boat is only maybe 5% of the skills necessary to cruise.

Going out for an hour cruise every couple of weeks...OK....maybe it's 95% of the required skills.

You don't get enough training in most schools to give the wisdom necessary for long distance cruising...you only have that aboard with either your own hard earned experience or bring along someone else who earned it.

Sure there are quick learners that learn well on the fly....most aren't and that's who keeps the towing companies busy and the USCG on alert.

Buying a large boat right from the start, living aboard and learning as you go is certainly an option. You will learn quickly about the boat, what maintenance is required and how it all Co es together by taking short cruises with experienced people at first then stretching you legs as boating wisdom seeps in.

This approach costs more money as mistakes are made...some pretty expensive. But they are not usually fatal if you pay even a little attention and do a little homework before each new baby step.

GIOS... when you find the perfect trawler, please post photos... :thumb:

Yes, I think a 66' is way too big for a first boat.

I started looking at bigger boats (but not that big). I finally ratcheted the size down to something I figured I could easily single-hand so I could go for a quick cruise at a moments notice.

I am sorry that I didn't reply as I said I'm a nebe a new person at this. I understand your point and I apologize for not replying to your answer. You gave me a lot to think about. Yes I plan on one day living on a trawler cruising around the Caribbean at first and then once I feel I have the experience to try a longer passage. A soft now it will be only me and then maybe later on my brother will join me or my son. But at the present time it will be only me learning the ropes of operating the trawler. At this point I am still open and receiptive to the type of trawler that will be best suited for my needs and desires. I feel that a twin engine will be good and as far as running a generator I thought that was expected when you are operating the different appliances and A/C units. Once again I am new to this. No I don't plan on going to the Northwest or Antartica I like it warm so I will be wanting to hang out in the Latin countries for a while. I was thinking on anchoring off the coast of Costa Rica for a while. To visit some friends there but then again I don't know if that is allowed. I have much to learn. I have walked through a 55 ft Choey Lee and thought that might work but now I'm thinking that I will go smaller from what I am hearing on this Forum. I am really looking forward to the Trawler fest so that I can talk with people that have already done what I plan on doing. As far as budget goes I just want to get a trawler that will take me where I want to go comfortably and not give me a lot of challenges. Thanks for your input I really appreciate it.
GIOS

GIOS.. I see you're in Sebring - I assume FL, and there's a trawler school over on the west coast that would offer a great introduction to trawlers.. you can google and find contact info for them... you can always learn the hard way on your own, but that can be very expensive.. and if you're thinking single handed boating, somewhere in the 30' or less size would be manageable.. super-sizing can follow... don't forget to post photos..

GIOS... another suggestion for a nebe is to attend a Captain's course. I used Sea School and had my 100 ton Merchant Mariner's Certificate (USCG) Captain's license in about 4 weeks. You can learn all about boating before you put yourself and others in peril.. Don't forget to post photos of your new toy...

The Miami boat show is coming soon. I suggest spending several days looking at boats there and looking at boat operators training schools. The typical captains course wont teach you how to operate the boat. You need a lot of time underway for that.
If I understand correctly you have little experience in boats. If true you wont be able to get insurance unless you have licensed captain operating the boat.
Be very careful in buying a used boat because inexperienced people often get something unsuitable. A full survey is a must.

I hope that you have more experience than it sounds because what you want to do is not difficult with experience it is very difficult withour experience. Boats and their operation is complicated.

http://www.miamiboatshow.com/attendees/default.aspx

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom