View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 04:01 PM   #11
Edelweiss
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryj2 View Post
We have twin Perkins 120's on our 1978 Gulf Star 44' trawler. It has also been suggested that as they revolve in different directions this may explain the difference but this seems questionable. Any thoughts appreciated.
Henry:
Pretty sure the other posters are correct about your thermostat needing changing or temp gauge being inaccurate.

Also:
Early Perkins engines could be contra rotational, but by the late 70's with the advent of Velvet Drive series 71 and 72 trannies, Perkins dropped the contra rotational engines. The counter rotation of the propellers occurred in the transmission after that. The contra rotational engines had the letter "X" in the serial number prior to the beginning of the sequential number. I have a chart somewhere that breaks down the dates and engine numbers, but all you have to do is observe the engines running to confirm that they are turning the same direction.

Also the 120 HP rating you're quoting for a T or HT 6.354M is pretty low. The 6.354M N/A (without turbo) of that era were rated at 130 HP and with turbo, ranged between 160 an 185 HP.

Great engine and with proper care they run forever!!

Good Luck
Larry B