"Roll Call" For Gourmet Cruisers and Island Gypsies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
........and more

Attachments

• dsc_0614.jpg
    dsc_0614.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 109
  • dsc_0617.jpg
    dsc_0617.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 108
  • dsc_0587.jpg
    dsc_0587.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 114
  • dsc_0596.jpg
    dsc_0596.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 107
  • dsc_0598.jpg
    dsc_0598.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 111
  • dsc_0586.jpg
    dsc_0586.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 98
  • dsc_0588.jpg
    dsc_0588.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 107
  • dsc_0592.jpg
    dsc_0592.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 116
  • dsc_0577.jpg
    dsc_0577.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 110
  • dsc_0575.jpg
    dsc_0575.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 117
nomadwilly wrote:
Epithane is probably a urethane product as "thane" is in it's name.
I believe that Epifanes (not "Epithane") may be a traditional oil based varnish. Over the years I have tried all sorts of varnishes, urethanes and even Bristol but keep coming back to Epifanes. In fact, I just this minute finished a small job with Epifanes. Love how it flows and self levels and, after six to 10 coats, has a beautiful dark depth to it.

Oh yes*** ..the spelling. I thought it was a traditional finish**** ...like McCloskey's. You can't beat the results and it's not hard to apply but all good natural oil based varnishes are a bit soft and need to be remover from time to time.

And shrimp man***** .... LOVE those pictures! You (and some others) are my link to such sights. We don't see boats like those here in Alaska**** ...ever.

dwhatty wrote:"I believe that Epifanes (not "Epithane")
Thanks Dave!* I've been thaying it wrong all these yearth.
thumbsup.gif

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Sunday 7th of November 2010 10:05:20 AM

Thank you everyone for all your comments and recomendations!!* I think I"ll try the Epifames in some areas that are sun exposed.* As you know I'm in the Caribbean and the sun and salt are constant.* I was inclined to using Bristol but* as you guys told me I've been told that is too watery and I will be using the product in upper areas.** By the way, I loved the photos, you don't see that kind of boats down here.*

As soon as the job is done, pictures will be posted.

Not really a Halvorsen but the biggest IG ever built(I think)

Stats:
Name -************ 'Yeacats', 1983
Length-************ 130 ft* Hong Kong
Rated-*** ********** Lloyds A1
Claim to Fame-* Stared in the film 'Overboard' with Kurt Russell & Goldie Hawn.

(Acknowledgments to the now defunct IG club & Mark Halvorsen)

I must really get a life!(acknowledgements to my wife)
smile.gif

Attachments

• ig big.jpg
    ig big.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 110
Peter B wrote:

I find Marin's post perplexing, as over here in Oz, Toplac has just been launched as 'new' and it was a very experienced chandlery guy who has been in the trade for years who told me re the concerns over Brightside. Are you sure about that Marin....?
Toplac has been around in the US for as long as we've owned our boat.* I just looked on the GB owner's site for the recent info about its discontinuation and found posts from 2002 from a fellow in Greece who had been using Toplac for some time.* Here are a couple of the recent posts about Toplac (in the US).* The first one is a reply to a GB forum member from Interlux.* The second one is from Bob Lowe, the "leader" of the GB owners forum.

Perhaps Interlux figured that if nobody in the US would buy the stuff they'd see if they could get the Australians to pony up for it.
smile.gif
** Seriously, it was a good paint with excellent application properties.* I liked using it, as did Bob Lowe.* But it has not held up on our boat in our climate nearly as well as Brightside, which in twelve years has been damn near indestructible.

-----------
[from Interlux in May, 2010]

Good Afternoon Joe,
Unfortunately Toplac had been discontinued roughly 2 years and the last of the stock had shipped out just about this time last year. Toplac really didnt have much of a strong following nor was stocked or purchased by many customers. Therefore the product was on an initial phase out 3 years ago, then discontinued 2 years ago and the remainder or the stock shipped out just about a year ago. I apologize for any inconvenience.

---------------

[From Bob Lowe in early 2010]

Things have changed in the marine paint industry over the past 10 years or so due to consumer demands and environmental requirements.

If I had to find another one-part paint to use since Toplac has been discontinued, I would probably buy a small can of several paints and try them.

I would try interlux Brightsides & Pettit Easypoxy to see which I preferred. A brushing solvent and some universal retarder should work in both for an experiment.

Of course, there are plenty of conventional one-part topsides paints to choose from which are user friendly but won't have the gloss retention of the blends.

And then there are the two-part LP paints to choose from. They will be user friendly but not as forgiving as the one-part paints. However, they are certainly worth considering if you are willing to invest the learning curve time. The advantages are gloss retention and durability.

--------------------------------

Bugger.....I'm going to have to have a word with my chandlery guy...........

I'm hoping his answer is going to be that there is now a new formulation of Toplac, as it's strange we've not had it before over here. I doubt they'd announce it as new here if it was old stock from the US being dumped....better not be......

Peter,
I'm quite sure Toplac is an inferior product and I'd not like to see you suffer any more frustrations Peter. On my aluminum skiff I only have one top coat (of BS) over the primer and there are nemerous scuff marks on the bow but the paint held up well. I'll sand and put 2 more coats on this spring. I mix the Brightside colors to get closser to what I want. Try Brightside w the primer (Pre-Kote).

Peter B wrote:I'm hoping his answer is going to be that there is now a new formulation of Toplac, as it's strange we've not had it before over here. I doubt they'd announce it as new here if it was old stock from the US being dumped....better not be......
If there was a new version of Toplac available in the US I'm sure the GB forum people would be all over it as it was a popular paint with some of the members including Bob Lowe.* But I've seen nothing on the forum recently other than things like the two posts I pasted above.

I don't know anything about Interlux and its global distribution and manufacturing capabilities, but perhaps they have a plant (or a supplier) in Australia or somewhere else that is making Toplac for your part of the world.* As the Interlux guy said it proved to be an unpopular product in the US but that doesn't mean it's not popular in other places or climates.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 12:15:42 PM

Ok, well this is becoming complicated, because we do seem to be talking about an 'old Toplac' and a 'new Toplac', and they are probably different, as I suspected. The parent co on the can is AkzoNobel, with an NZ & Australian contact details, not US, so not US old stock, and if you gargle them, you find they own just about every damn brand on the planet, including Interlux, Internatonal Epiglass, Awlgrip, Sikkens, Dulux etc, etc, etc.
However, if you look at this link, it sort of explains where I am coming from, and sets my mind at rest I have not just used an old discarded US brand of inferior paint. Also I am very familiar with, and impressed by and did use, Prekote, Eric, you betcha. It is also recommended for prepping raw surfaces for this New Toplac as well.* Presumably it will also become available on the US market, if not already...?
http://iyp.yachtpaint.com/australia/default.asp
You will note the point in the following extract that "it replaces Brightside".......
enpix.gif
<table style="width:385px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="10"></td></tr></tbody></table><table style="width:385px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="Header">What's new at yachtpaint.com</td></tr><tr><td class="Text"><table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td width="3">
enpixel.gif
</td><td>
toplac_ap_lrg.jpg
</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" height="3">
enpixel.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table>International Paint is excited to introduce you to our new product: Toplac! Toplac is a deep lustrous 1-part finish with excellent durability with enhanced UV stability that replaces Brightside.
The silky-smooth-flow-out characteristics lasts twice as long as conventional one-part enamels and is exceptionally easy to apply.</td></tr></tbody></table>

-- Edited by Peter B on Thursday 11th of November 2010 07:01:41 AM

Peter B wrote:

Presumably it will also become available on the US market, if not already...?
http://iyp.yachtpaint.com/australia/default.asp
You will note the point in the following extract that "it replaces Brightside".......
enpix.gif

<table style="width:385px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td height="10"></td></tr></tbody></table>
What makes you think it will appear on the US market (again).* We already had it and it didn't sell.* Unlikely that they'd try again.* The can in your illustration is identical to the old can of Toplac I still have.* So it appears to me that they are simply trying the same product in a new market.

When Toplac was available in the US the Interlux website was very clear about the differences between it and Brightside.* Brightside was recommended for high-wear, high-weathering surfaces where a tough, durable finish was required.* Toplac, they said, was a softer paint when cured and was designed for low-wear surfaces where ease of application, smoothness, and gloss retention were the objectives.* As I recall, Toplac uses silicone as a component where Brightside uses Teflon.

PS.* After writing the above I remembered that I had saved the product descriptions of Brightside and Toplac years ago when these paints were a topic of discussion on the GB forum. Just for fun, I found and opened the Toplac description I had saved some eight or ten years ago and compared it to the full description in the link you posted.* With the exception of the statement about replacing Brightside and the "Introducing" header, the descriptions are word for word identical.

Don't get me wrong.* Toplac is a good paint.* A number of people on the GB forum preferred it to Brightside, including Bob Lowe.* Having used both for identical applications--- window frames--- I can tell you that the Interlux website was correct.* Toplac went on smoother and had a very high gloss.* Brightside was not quite as smooth in its application by brush or roller.* But over ten years or so I've had to repaint all the window frames I painted with Toplac.* I have not yet had to repaint anything on the outside of the boat I've painted with Brightside.* So in my experience, Interlux was right on with their use charts for both paints.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 11th of November 2010 02:20:11 PM

Now I'll have to start looking around at my paint supplies.
About five years ago when i blasted my hull back to bare timber we used Toplac as the top coat and it held up better than any previous paint I had used.
the preparation was probably the key.
The initial coat when the hull was new probably didn't stand a chance with the timber still being a bit oily.

My last paint jobapprox 2 years ago we used brightsides and the finnish was superb and so far it has held up really well.
A few cracks here and there on plank lines but you expect that.

i was allways under the impression tha Toplac was a professional coating and Brightsides was the one available thru the chandler.

Benn

flashwillie wrote:

hi Peter.i'm not having you treat my sore throat.
gordon.
Que...?* Where did that come from?

Marin, I'm going to settle this once and for all. Come Monday business hours I'm going to ring AkzoNobel, aka International, aka Interlux, aka Epiglass, and get it straight from the horses mouth. We ALL need to know, on a need to know basis, what is going on here......
In any case, having done my whole deckhouse with the stuff, I guess what happens over the next few yrs will be interesting. Especially as my flybridge interior is still done with Brightside (for the third time in 8 yrs I might add), so I have a built-in comparison. I'll keep ya'all posted.

It will be interesting to hear what you find out. I know people who used it on the GB forum would like to see it come back.

As far as Benn's comment, Toplac was always sold on the shelf next to Brightside (and all the other paints) in all the marine stores around here including West Marine. From what I gather from the GB forum, the situation was the same everywhere else. So in the US, Toplac and Brightside were sold side-by-side. The two paints have (or had) distinct property differences--- they were never promoted here as being substitutes for each other nor were they presented this way on the Interlux use chart on their website or in their literature.

There was no distinction made with regards to professional or amateur. They both go on the same way, so there was no need for professional equipment to apply either one.

Marin,
It looks like they may operate differently on opposite sides of the pacific.
The same thing happens with antifoul.
I use International Coppercoat Extra but can only be supplied by a professional applicator.
Off the shelf only Coppercoat can be purchased.
Just had a quick look at the Australian web site and Coppercoat Extra is not even listed.
This is an ablative anti foul and as I haul my boat at least every 12 months (timber) it servesw its purpose very well.
These guys appear to have weaved a very intricate international web, it must be all about paticular markets.

Benn

Tidahapah wrote:

Marin,
It looks like they may operate differently on opposite sides of the pacific.
The same thing happens with antifoul.
Sometimes a country's import or environmental regulations can come into play, too. For example, judging by the comments on the GB forum it is impossible to get CPES in the UK.* It is not stocked in chanderlies and it cannot be ordered (in the UK) from on-line suppliers like Fisheries Supply, Defender, etc.* You cannot buy it direct from the distributors as we can here in Seattle from Rot Doctor who also sells on-line.

Nobody on the GB forum from the UK or Europe has said there is an equivelant product that is avaialble over there.* But judging by their "I wish we could get it" comments, it sounds like there may not be.

Welcome aboard Wayne!

I didn't know that Halvorsen built a 30' wide body. Hope you enjoy the site.

Happy New Year everyone. Sorry I haven't been active on the forum for a long while. Just haven't found the time to use my computer for anything that isn't work-related. Fortunately however, I have generally managed to reserve one day every weekend for boating with my family. Well that's not exactly true... my logbook shows 52 outings in each of 2008 and 2009, but only 40-something in 2010. ACL reconstructive surgery kept me off the water for a month as did a few weeks visiting family in Europe in the summer and over Christmas. I also did a bit of sailing towards the end of last year to keep my hand in the rag-bagging. Anyhoo, am back now from my Christmas break and look forward to some cruising planned for long weekends later in January and February.

That said, and at the risk of getting kicked off the board, I have a shocking thought that I feel compelled to share with you. I have long wanted for my kids to eventually get into sailing in a big way and, with our family of 5 quickly out-growing our boat when multi-day cruising, I am considering the possibility of buying a 40+ foot sailing boat. And that can't possibly happen unless someone wants to buy our "Beluga". I can't quite bring myself to post a classified ad just yet, but I figured I should at least let TF members know first that my highly spec'd 2008 special edition Halvo 34 is potentially available basis delivery in Hong Kong. Send me a private message if you our someone you know are genuinely interested.

In the meantime, we will enjoy our Beluga for as long as we've got her... and that might still be several more years. Here are some photos from our most recent cruises during Q4.

All the best,
Mark

Attachments

• emerald bay panorama.jpg
    emerald bay panorama.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 156
  • mch_1260.jpg
    mch_1260.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 144
  • mch_1273.jpg
    mch_1273.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 158
  • mch_1296.jpg
    mch_1296.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 143
  • mch_1248.jpg
    mch_1248.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 158
  • mch_1291.jpg
    mch_1291.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 148
  • img_2743.jpg
    img_2743.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 156
  • mch_1323.jpg
    mch_1323.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 151
  • mch_9664.jpg
    mch_9664.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 182
  • mch_9759.jpg
    mch_9759.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 153
Mark:

It's great to see you on the "Forum" again. Hope your ACL is healed and up to hoisting the main and other sheets on a blow boat. (You wouldn't get power winches would you?)

If you haven't been accessing TrawlerForum regularly you must be surprised at its growth. Doug & John continue to build this into a World Class Forum. (Hint for John)

I can appreciate your desire to get your family on a sail boat as I think you learn more about seamanship as a "rag sailor" than you do skippering a "stink pot." (JMO)

I've followed your build of "Beluga" from its inception and when the time comes, someone is going to get a great boat!* You certainly have all the bells & whistles.

It's hard to believe how big the boys have grown! I can't imagine all of you on your 34 footer and can see your reasoning for getting a bigger boat. You'll probably get a lot more boat for your buck with sail than you ever would with power. I can't imagine you getting use to slow speeds and a zig- zag course, though.

Again, great to see you here and keep us posted.

Walt

Good luck with whatever you do, Mark!!! That is a great looking crew you got there!!!

Thanks for your support guys. Letting her go will be really tough given the hand I played in her production (the second Halvo in my life), so I won't let her go for a song and will be sure to enjoy her until someone steps up. Will keep you posted.

'CrewZin' 2003 IG Euro 32 #157. Cruising Baja winter 2012. Love the boat as a coastal cruiser. Looking forward to meeting other IG’s.

Welcome aboard.

I bought an IG32 in December. 1995 Europa. This is my first real power boat. I owned 3 sailboats over the past 24 years and sailed them all on Lake Michigan. Arthritis and 2 knee replacements forced a decision to sell our 36' Catalina sloop last fall. I am very excited to give the IG a try. I wanted a boat that was sturdy and comfortable. The boat is now up in Charlevoix, MI, and will be delivered to Racine, WI next month, I hope. My 1986 Catalina had a 25hp diesel, and and the IG has 10 times the hp. So I have a lot of learning to do. So I'll be hanging around here as much as possible to learn all I can from all of you experienced IG owners.

Hi Tony, let me be the first to welcome you to the venerable IG owners forum, some of us here are more venerable than others, but on the whole we are a supportive bunch proud of our IG's.

How about some photo's of your new 32.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom