CA Delta White Sturgeon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Pushing water at 10 Kts...WOT

img_300188_0_a65eac6f9fdb145b47b3c525c9d8e704.jpg

Giggitoni and daughter, Jenny

img_300188_1_ba9e85b71129f5a9da6a846f6de448cd.jpg

img_300188_2_494cc54a6c3c26b4998213e03c06e22c.jpg

Sturgeon Fishing by the Mothball Fleet

img_300188_3_9c919d7182e80a6d5b304f86bb654981.jpg

Jenny's first fish at 7 ft 0 in (84 in) and approx 180 lbs

img_300188_4_e271081f71dacef5ea5b6e2754d659ac.jpg

img_300188_5_20f5180ca1b30ae552bd810f542eb438.jpg

That is one BIG fish!
Congrats!

Nice pics and a beautiful fish. Is that a tarpon?

Not a fisherman GFC

GFC, that is a sturgeon and there is a bunch of them right where you are parked in that same size range. Columbia River is a great sturgeon fishery.

Yes, it's a white sturgeon. Our biggest sturgeon in Northern CA run up to about 9 ft...maybe 10 ft. The Columbia River fishery yields fish to 13 ft or more!! For such a huge fish, it's amazing how they take such small baits with a very gentle touch. This fish was caught on a small piece of eel 1/2 inch by 1 1/2 inches.

The Reserve Fleet, aka Mothball Fleet, on Suisun Bay is dwindling. The USS Iowa now sits proudly in San Pedro, CA near Long Beach as a floating museum. She looks great and is now well cared for in her new home.

What size reels you using?

What size reels you using?

My reels are Shimano Tekota 500LC. It's a levelwind reel with a strong drag. I have 4 Shimano Tekotas and they have all been flawless in the many years I've owned them.

I have the linecounter version of the reel shown in this video.

Interesting, FlyWright has protected the top railing caps, Mahalo has not. Expressly for fishing?

Yes, Bruce. I leave the protective fire hose covers (aka rail condoms) in place during fishing. The 8-10 oz weights are tough on the varnished rails.

I wish I had Ray's SS rails.

Al, I'd think a fisherman would also be curious on the nature of the fishing line, hooks, etcetera you use.

Al's sturgeon caught 2014 in Suisun Bay, perhaps a half mile or so west where Jenny caught her fish:

img_300052_0_9f73ce3495ca83fe40df2d493d814dfa.jpg

Last edited:
My reels are Shimano Tekota 500LC. It's a levelwind reel with a strong drag. I have 4 Shimano Tekotas and they have all been flawless in the many years I've owned them.

I have the linecounter version of the reel shown in this video.

Wow those are small reels compared to the size of the fish, must be a hell of a fight! Or are they more of a docile fish?

We East Coast boys are lazy, electric artillery for the deep drop yellow eyes and wahoo. But we don't cheat on the trolling side of things for fish like dolphin, kingfish, etc..;)
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421649011.345959.jpg

Al, I'd think a fisherman would also be curious on the nature of the fishing line, hooks, etcetera you use.

Al's sturgeon caught 2014 in Suisun Bay, perhaps a half mile or so west where Jenny caught her fish:

img_300067_0_9f73ce3495ca83fe40df2d493d814dfa.jpg

And the NUMBERS forgot about those... :lol:

Yes Oliver, they're small by blue water standards, but it's pretty much normal fare in the delta. We are fishing in fresh and brackish waters that are typically 20-30 ft deep...sometimes 40 or 50, but that's rare. My target depth is 30 ft.

Oh, they fight! The big boys (5-7 ft) and can take anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes to bring to the boat. I've heard many stories of the huge ones (over 8 ft) taking 2 or more hours to bring to the boat. Many guys drop their anchor (with a buoy) to float with the fish while fighting it. A lot of these guys are fishing in 18-22 ft boats. With a relatively big boat, I don't do that, though...I bring the fish to the boat. The boat record is 90 inches in 2010.

This fish that Jenny caught at 84 inches took 15 minutes to bring to the boat, but Jenny needed help in doing it. Here are some short videos of parts of the fight. You can see where she is unable to lean over the side and keep the fish from going under the boat, so I helped her. Her arms were also getting fatigued, so I provided her some relief at times.

Keep in mind that she's 5' 2" fishing a 7 ft long fish that outweighs her by at least 80 lbs.

Wow, very cool!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
:socool: Great looking day for all! The water looks clear of debris, calm, and apparently, giving.

We'll be back out there Wed-Fri, Kevin. Untie that dock from your boat and come out and raft up with us. BYOB!

(Bait, beer, babes, bottles and bagels)

Let me warm up my propulsion.....

87728250_XS.jpg

Cool videos Al. Thanks for sharing!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

That thing pulls like a yellowfin. Are they good to eat?

That thing pulls like a yellowfin. Are they good to eat?

Excellent table fare, GC. It's the firmest and cleanest tasting fish I've ever had. Clean taste like halibut, firmer than shark....almost like a pork loin roast. It takes whatever taste you give it in the form of spices or marinades.

We can only keep 3 per year, but I only kept 2 last year out of 13 on the boat. Some were oversize, some were undersize and some were in the slot as keepers but returned to the water. Our keeper slot is 40-60 inches measured to the fork of the tail.

That's fantastic you were able to put your daughter on her first sturgeon!
Impressive!

In all my years living/fishing in the Bay area, Sturgeon was the only fish I couldn't catch.
I even bought Keith Fraser's book on how to fish for them.
I made the run from Oyster Point to San Pablo Bay in my 21' Whaler many times, to no avail.

I did catch lots of halibut, stripers, salmon, albacore, lingcod, cabezon inside and outside of the Gate though.
Thanks for sharing, brought back lots of memories!

No, that is Ray's (Giggitoni's) daughter.

Thanks, Tunajoe. Jenny was thrilled with that sturgeon. She can't stop talking about the adventure. She teaches 2nd grade and I'm quite sure her "kids" have heard all about the monster.

In all honesty, she wouldn't have had a chance without the knowledge and savvy of Al. We had a great trip with a storybook ending. Thanks, Al!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom