From offer to purchase-what's your longest negotation??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bogranjac1

Well members,

TELL ME YOUR LONGEST NEGOTIATION PERIOD FOR A PARTICULAR BOAT.

I am now into my 10 day in Queensland negotiating the purchase of 'Nimiane'.
I feel almost at the end of my patience with this seller:oldman:.
However if she had not fitted my requirements almost perfectly I would of run away. :surrender:
Your recollections will help me.
Regards
Brett

What's taking so long, the price, or what needs to be fixed up as part of the price..?

Anyway, if it all falls through, I have a nice Clipper 34 for sale here in Queensland…but you don't mention what this boat Nimiane is, so I don't know if it is that kind of boat you are after.

Less than 10 minutes was the grand total time spent negotiating the purchase of my boat. Face to face with the owner, no brokers involved. We spent over a year looking for our boat and recognized it as a fair deal going in.

Not sure I would spend more than a couple days negotiating even with a broker involved to be honest. But that's just me. Good luck with your purchase.

Every thing from the method of payment - (he wants cash) :lol::lol: , to the repairs that I requested after initial trial run to every little conceivable extra cost like rego transfer/road worthy certificate/the cost of the hatch fitting needed replacing etc etc etc.........OMG...........I need another Stella. Fortunetley staying at a nice packpacker joint on the beach at Hervey bay. The scenery walking around here is not too bad either.;););)
regards

Peter B
Nimiane is a trailerable 8 mt double ended finnish design seaboat. She weighs a total of 1500kg. (with a 500kg lead ballast keel)
She has a yanmar 22hp and is loaded with electronic fruit ( auto pilot, lowarance 7 elite ,radios, extra sounders etc etc) Perfect for me to explore the furtherest reaches of tropical aussie economically.
All inside a comfortable all weather pilothouse with lots of windows. 2 year old trailer enc. New gel coat, stern tube, rudder post and rudder,prop, engine rebuild etc etc.
This is why i'm suffering this ................

Attachments

• bp5185002226031376665.jpg
    bp5185002226031376665.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 120
  • bp5361656658406412531.jpg
    bp5361656658406412531.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 126
  • bp5486071450347345646.jpg
    bp5486071450347345646.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 124
  • bp5705981806083521654.jpg
    bp5705981806083521654.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 111
Boy, I sure had to look at those photos closely to finally determine that they were all of the same boat! The last image looks, at first glance, like a completely different vessel until you realize that the stern is on the left.

Looks like it would be a fun ride.

I started the ball rolling for my Nordic Tug purchase in August of 2014 and the deal closed on about October 15 2014.
Took forever!

Nice looking boat Brett. It should be a fabulous tourer.

Interesting boat the Finn 8. It would have been nice exploring the Sandy Straits.I remember seeing one on the back of a truck a few years ago it was heading for Tin Can Bay,it may have been it.

Insequent - really looking forward to getting her up to FNQ around May this year and doing some cruising. Also like the thought of being able to trail her behind the Landcruiser and use as a caravan when going back to West Oz before the 2015-16 cyclone season.
Of course I would enjoy meeting some aussie TF members on Brisbane waters for a coldie sometime too.
Here's a pic of a similar boat.....she sits sooooo nicely

brett

Attachments

• ca13d20c86d1111eddba06bd5a4fc651.jpg
    ca13d20c86d1111eddba06bd5a4fc651.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 100
Mine took about a month. Knew I wanted it on day one. Had to wait for another buyer to back out on his contract. Resurveyed the boat and then had to negotiate a further price reduction based on neglected engine and generator maintenance. Nice thing about your memory, the severity of these kind of events faid quickly once the deal is done and you are enjoying your boat.

Ted

Mine took a long time, but there's a tale behind it. (Isn't there always!)

When I first started talking to the selling broker I told him I had a trade and wouldn't make the deal without the trade. This was in early February, 2010 when NOBODY was buying boats and they weren't interested in taking the trade. I said OK and hung up.

Two weeks later the broker called me and asked what the trade was and I told him. It was a 330 Sea Ray Sundancer. He said there were a lot of them for sale around them and they didn't want to have one on hand.

I'd done my homework and knew they had owned the boat for 1.5 years and knew the boat was not floored by a bank--they had their own money tied up in the boat. I reminded them if they took my boat in on trade they would have a lot less of THEIR money tied up. He said they still were not interested. I said OK and hung up.

He called back about 3 weeks later and asked what condition my boat was in and I told him it was a solid 8 on a 10 scale. He said they still weren't interested so I said OK and hung up.

About 2 weeks after that he said they would take my Sundancer on trade and we got down to discussing dollars. By the time we started getting close to my price I flew back to Detroit to sea trial the boat and have it surveyed.

We renegotiated a bit based on a few things the survey disclosed and that took about another week. We agreed on price in late April, 2010 and my wife and I flew back for another sea trial and to make sure the survey items that needed to be corrected were actually done.

We signed all the docs then made arrangements to have the boat shipped from Detroit to Portland, OR. So, from start to finish the whole negotiating process took about 2.5 months.

Interesting fresh air poop deck. Is that really where the porta potty lives?

Wow

Great looking boat

My negotiation to close was about 15 minutes

Sea trial 2 hours

he fixed more then I noticed I delivered payment the following week after he made the repairs and delivered the case of bubbly

OMG.....tunajoe..........what an ordeal.... Still your boat is quite majestic looking and no doubt worth the wait.
brett

It was worth it.
A lot of the delay was first time buyers nervousness among other things.
Thanks Brett

Purchasing Stella, our Defever 44, was the longest for us and the most intense . . . made all the more so by trying to get her under contract while we were on vacation in Italy. A forum member (Sailor of Fortune) was kind enough to visit the boat for us in Florida and gave us a strong enough assessment of her condition that we felt comfortable making an offer. I remember standing on an overlook in the ancient town of Orvieto talking to SOF and marveling that I was beginning the process of buying a boat I hadn't seen in person that was in Florida. (I live in PA.) We commenced the negotiating process with the seller's broker (we didn't use a broker on our end) and my wife has pictures of me sitting in a corner of the Vatican researching costs with other brokers and surveyors. I hit the send button on our acceptance to the "final" negotiated price literally as the wheels on our return flight were leaving the ground in Rome. Didn't know that our offer had been accepted until we were stateside. That was in February and, for various reasons, we ended up closing near the end of April. In all, we came out of the process with few regrets and a lot of respect for what brokers go through.

What a cute, marvelous boat.
Congratulations.

Every situation is different. We made our offer about March 20, 2013, surveyed and sea trial April 1. We couldn't come to terms on some concerns so we backed away, very disappointed. The seller now had two failed offers on his boat. The seller contacted us again about May 21. Brought my shipwright down to look at her. He confirmed the vessel's conditions. We made another offer, no subjects which was accepted and we took possession June 1.

For your situation: is it a buyer's or seller's market there? You could do what we did and back away, with the offer to contact you should he reconsider. Remember, there will always be another opportunity. Make sure it is the right choice for you, even if it means walking away.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

My negotiation to close was about 15 minutes

Same here....Boat never actually came on the Market (officially), and the PO had just brought his (new to him) 44' Cat down from Md. Right time, right place. Made an offer 10% under market/Ask, and Boom, done. November is probably a good time to deal. Great boat, painless transaction. Everyone was happy in the end..

Last edited:
JDCAVE,
I would think that it's a buys market here as Oz is firmly (economically) in the control of China/India as we are a primary resource exporting country and the Oz dollar and stock market is plummeting.
Possibly I am to blame for some of the protracted bargaining over this boat as the final sales figure (today) now is 26% below his opening price. However wouldn't you agree that owners (sellers) have an opinion far inflated of the real market value anyhow ?
Had a good feeling this morning about the sale concluding soon. So I bought a lotto ticket this morning in the $20 million draw........might buy a helicopter instead if I hit the jackpot ;):).
Brett
P.S. whoever asked funny spot for the portapotty...........No the 'pooping' gets done in the forward cabin not poop deck :rofl:....thank heavens. lol as pictured.

Attachments

• bp4896969671920828617.jpg
    bp4896969671920828617.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 55
The seller sounds as particular about detail as his boat. I get the impression the buyer might be fairly particular too, being attracted to the same boat. A slow deal can be a good deal, rushing in negotiation sends messages that may not help.

we just settled on our next boat and have moved her home and begun the work on things to her back in shape. Our negotiations went for three months. It was challenging and dealing with owner, broker and mechanics is not something I want to do again soon. We only persevered because the boat is perfect for us in every way. She is a zero compromise boat and they do not come along often.

In the end a negotiation goes for as long as it takes for both parties to achieve their outcomes. When they both want those outcomes without compromise, then the process takes longer.

good luck.

Just remember you are buying a USED boat .

No boat is perfect although many used boats will take far less time to make safe and seaworthy than a new build.

Arguing over a $3.00 hinge pin may not be worth the effort to the buyer or seller.

All USED boats are sold AS IS , never expect perfection .

Just decide if the VALUE is there for YOU!

Not sure it qualifies as a negotiation, but: It took me 6 months. I first saw the boat for sale in September and contacted the seller, visited the boat, got a test drive, and did a pretty thorough self survey. Based on the this effort and "comps", arrived at a figure of 62.5% of the asking price. Seller told me to pack sand.

I continued looking, made a couple of trips to Florida to check out specific boats, still looking for the right one. In mid-March the following year, the phone rings. The Septmber seller offers to do the deal for my offered price. Got real surveys done and completed the deal 8 days after the call.

FF is providing sage advice with "All USED boats are sold AS IS."

Well members,

TELL ME YOUR LONGEST NEGOTIATION PERIOD FOR A PARTICULAR BOAT.

I am now into my 10 day in Queensland negotiating the purchase of 'Nimiane'.
I feel almost at the end of my patience with this seller:oldman:.
However if she had not fitted my requirements almost perfectly I would of run away. :surrender:
Your recollections will help me.
Regards
Brett

I've spent more time negotiating on a car than my boat. We met face to face. It took all of 5 minutes. After the survey we met again and that took another 5 minutes. It helps when he wants to sell and you found your ideal boat. I can see where it can get difficult. I guess I was lucky but face to face is the way to go. People will say and do a lot of things when they don't have to look you in the eye. Good luck!

, he can
Every thing from the method of payment - (he wants cash) :lol::lol: , to the repairs that I requested after initial trial run to every little conceivable extra cost like rego transfer/road worthy certificate/the cost of the hatch fitting needed replacing etc etc etc.........OMG...........I need another Stella. Fortunetley staying at a nice packpacker joint on the beach at Hervey bay. The scenery walking around here is not too bad either.
regards

Yo, Bo - I noticed you have two - LOL's :lol :lol:; after the seller apparently wanting cash. Me thinks maybe therein lays the problem. You two having way-to-pay issues??

Every boat I purchase is cash - only! I don't buy loan-interest on "toys". When I get to point of settling on the deal it usually takes minutes. Maybe a few days of survey thereafter and even a few more minutes for price adjustment if necessary. If me and seller don't meet on a deal real quickly I've too much to do and there are too many other boats available. The seller can either soon shake on the deal - or, he can - Color Me Gone!

Best luck on closing your deal! :thumb:

Last edited:
, he can

Yo, Bo - I noticed you have two - LOL's :lol :lol:; after the seller apparently wanting cash. Me thinks maybe therein lays the problem. You two having way-to-pay issues??

Every boat I purchase is cash - only! I don't buy loan-interest on "toys".
The seller probably wants actual cash,ie $100 notes. Here cash transactions >10K at your bank get reported to authorities.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom