Replacing Headliner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

On The Rocks

Vessel Name
On The Rocks
Vessel Make
Gulf Star MKII
Although the old perforated automobile style headliner in my aft cabin is in fair shape, the plywood behind it that was (I think) glued to the underside of the deck has come loose. If I take out the headliner, I'd like to insulate and replace with something white and easily cleaned.

I like the look of painted wood strips as used in old wooden boats. I've also been thinking about pvc or frp panels. Has anyone seen pvc or frp panels that look like beadboard?

Suggestions?

The PVC "beadboard" panels are popular for overhead and bulkhead coverings. Mold resistent, easily cleaned and inexpensive. I would glue foam insulation panels right to it. 3/4" with alum foil.

Sound down has great headliner products and installation options.

Does anyone know a source for the pvc beadboard?

"Does anyone know a source for the pvc beadboard?"

It's called Google.

A common way to install it is with Velcro so you can remove it for servicing and access to wiring later.

Pretty sure Home Depot and Lowe's have PVC beadboard...but in the 6 inch wide sections.

I did my saloon bulkheads with the pine version and found it easy to work with and little waste. Most boars are not all that square so u less you have something to use as an accurate pattern, or make them yourself...the individual tongue and groove worked out nicely.

One of our projects that we are really looking forward to when we have more time in a couple of years is to replace our boat's fabric headliner in the main cabin. We will use a very successful process recommended by Bob Lowe, a founder of the the Grand Banks Owners Forum and for years the shipwright who owned and operated Oak Harbor Boatworks, a yard that specializes in the maintenance, repair, restoration, and upgrading of Grand Banks boats on Whidbey Island, WA.

Bob restored a gorgeous 1974 Alaskan 45 named Dreamer which was his own boat. Alaskan was a wood boat line manufactured by American Marine at the same time they were producing their wood and then fiberglass Grand Banks line. For the new headliner Bob used what's commonly referred to as doorskin, a mahogany ply, for the panels with teak strips. I have seen this method used on other GBs and it looks terrific plus allows easy access to the space above the headliner to run wires, cable chases, etc. Bob described the process he used on Dreamer and other GBs that came through his yard on the forum.

Here are two photos of Dreamer's interior in which the finished headliner can be seen.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421613711.006491.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421613730.190932.jpg

Last edited:
For anyone interested, here is what Bob Lowe's Dreamer looked like when he got her, and what she looked like when he was finished restoring her.

American Marine only made a few Alaskan 45s. I think only five or so but I could be mistaken. The other Alaskan models are larger, and many of them use a pilothouse design drawn by Arthur deFever. This pilothouse design was used by Tony Fleming when he left American Marine to start his own boat line And for the deFever 42, 46 and 49 produced by various manufacturers.

The Alaskan 45 is unique in the Alaskan line in that it is more like a Grand Banks in that its main cabin and lower helm station is all one level. It is this configuration that appealed so much to Bob and his wife, who before aquiring Dreamer had owned a beautiful GB32.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421614890.672562.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421614912.999897.jpg

Last edited:
Home Depot sells 4X8' sheets of FRP about 3mm thick, high gloss white or very pale grey with a stipple pattern molded in. I an in the process of covering all my interior walls with it. Very easy to work with.

Attachments

• stipple 1.JPG
    stipple 1.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 172
  • stipple 2.JPG
    stipple 2.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 207
I used 1/4" foam backed perforated material glued to 1/4" plywood which was velcroed to the overhead. I found it easy to clean and it made a significant difference in reducing sound levels.

I woud think the hard surfaces would be louder. YMMV

Rob

My boat, no photos, used white upholstery vinyl wrapped around foam covered light plywood. The joints are covered with teak strips about 2" wide by 1/2" thick which themselves are secured, by nickle plated wood screws with finishing washers, to the overhead.

It's attractive and is readily removed, which I've done, for wiring or other work.
The vinyl is due for a serious cleaning or replacement.

Back
Top Bottom