"Bucket Head"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I missed the first 3 weeks of my hitch on my boat because the company had me on another "mission". My tug was at anchor in Jamaica baby sitting some of our companies equipment and waiting on weather.
When the crew boat dropped me off, I should have known something was up. I was talking with the crew in the galley and something seemed a little off. They wanted to show me my "Christmas presents", one of which was a flashlight and the other"is out back cap"
We went to the aft deck and I was introduced to "peg" a stray dog that was half dead on the beach where we do grocery runs with the Rib boat. Peg had a bone sticking out of one paw, another puncture wound with maggots coming out and was delirious just days before. Peg had made a remarkable recovery but wasn't out of the woods yet. The crew wouldn't take any of the medical chest antibiotics without my permission. Needless to say we put her on antibiotics and she was being "seen" remotely via internet by a vet in Connecticut. The vet said the guys had done a remarkable job in cleaning, flushing the wound but professional help was needed. The race was on and "peg" was brought to a vet in Montego Bay who gave it rabbis vaccination but wasn't prepared for surgery. This vet didn't have an Elizabethian collar so a plastic flower pot was pressed in to service. Hence the name Bucket Head! She is the sweetest little happy puppy. She now has her own stateroom until her hitch is over.
We scrambled to make arrangements for Peg and she will have surgery on monday in Montego Bay (another vet) who will board her until she is able to fly and then put her on a plane. One of the crew will be on the receiving end to adopt her. Hopefully it all works out. The Jamaicans think we are nuts for spending energy on a beast of burden, they have little regards for dogs.
:banghead:

Last edited:
You and your guys just earned yourselves some seriously good Karma. Nice story, thanks.

That's one of the best posts I've seen on this forum. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to see that another living thing has a chance to experience the life it's been given.

Nice job, you get three stars. Dogs are the best!

Oh and thanks.

I like the name. Bucket Head.

I worked with an engineer in a shipyard named "Bucket Head". Big strong dude, his head literally shaped like it formed in a bucket. No neck. But a good dude, indeed.

I saw the title to this post and it brought back memories and a smile.

Kudos for taking in that critter and nursing her back. She'll make a heck of a boat dog.

Jack, with all the horrors going on in the world these days, an act of random kindness like this really raised my spirits. Thanks for posting.

It is a very good thing you all have done!

I was expecting this thread to be headed in a different direction.

bucket_toilet_port-a-pottie_pp33350.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised. Also, I've been trying to talk my Captain into getting a boat dog. Maybe I'll just have to bring one home and ask if we can keep it. :thumb:

Capt. Jack, kudos to you and your crew. Great story. Lou said that anyone that will do that for a dog is alright. Our dog Troy gives his approval also. He added that she will need plenty of treats.

I love dogs and we have 2 living aboard with us. My wife Jackie is a dog "freak." I can't show her this post because she will surely begin to cry. There is a special place in heaven for people like you. God bless you for saving this poor dog. Bucket Head will pay you back with unconditional love.

Bucket head on the mend

Attachments

• 1421371865161.jpg
    1421371865161.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 1420989840339.jpg
    1420989840339.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 1421371865572.jpg
    1421371865572.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 100
+11 to SOF.
You brought a smile to my face when reading your post.
Indeed, this is what makes the world go-round. Bravo! (& thank you)

I don't know what it is about the attitude toward animals there, but thank you for doing the humane thing. We are the healers of animals if we want to be. Now, you're a healer.....lots of responsibility.

Now that I think about it. based on the fact you're in Jamaica and you are using a flower pot for a collar, pot head might be a better name for the dog. :D

Congratulations Sailor, well done, a great dog in the making.

As I lay here in bed with our sweet little dog curled around my wife's head on the pillow, this was heart warming to read. Thanks for posting. We got Peanut at the pound, rejected by somebody, but she's the sweetest dog who ever lived. Somebody's going to get a devoted friend for the rest of that dog's life.

Bucket head will be a resident of Tampa.She will be shipped to one of our deckhands home after surgery/paperwork and whatever else is required. The crew each put in a couple of hundred bucks to help cover expenses. Any leftover money will be donated to "Animal House", a Jamaican animal rescue organization that helped steer the "Bucket Head" project.

Back
Top Bottom