Thread: "Bucket Head"
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
Sailor of Fortune
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
"Bucket Head"

I missed the first 3 weeks of my hitch on my boat because the company had me on another "mission". My tug was at anchor in Jamaica baby sitting some of our companies equipment and waiting on weather.
When the crew boat dropped me off, I should have known something was up. I was talking with the crew in the galley and something seemed a little off. They wanted to show me my "Christmas presents", one of which was a flashlight and the other"is out back cap"
We went to the aft deck and I was introduced to "peg" a stray dog that was half dead on the beach where we do grocery runs with the Rib boat. Peg had a bone sticking out of one paw, another puncture wound with maggots coming out and was delirious just days before. Peg had made a remarkable recovery but wasn't out of the woods yet. The crew wouldn't take any of the medical chest antibiotics without my permission. Needless to say we put her on antibiotics and she was being "seen" remotely via internet by a vet in Connecticut. The vet said the guys had done a remarkable job in cleaning, flushing the wound but professional help was needed. The race was on and "peg" was brought to a vet in Montego Bay who gave it rabbis vaccination but wasn't prepared for surgery. This vet didn't have an Elizabethian collar so a plastic flower pot was pressed in to service. Hence the name Bucket Head! She is the sweetest little happy puppy. She now has her own stateroom until her hitch is over.
We scrambled to make arrangements for Peg and she will have surgery on monday in Montego Bay (another vet) who will board her until she is able to fly and then put her on a plane. One of the crew will be on the receiving end to adopt her. Hopefully it all works out. The Jamaicans think we are nuts for spending energy on a beast of burden, they have little regards for dogs.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote