Check List for buying used boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reeltripp

*** Just got a deposit on the sale*my 32'Oday sailboat and ready to move up to a trawler.* We are doing a lot of on line research before we start visiting.* I would like to have a check list of things to look for when we get on board so I can compare the possibilities.* I've got a buddy with a 34' Marine Trader that I have helped do I lot of work so I'm familiar with most systems.* I have a survey from my O'Day which will be a good starting point but I wonder if anyone has a check list or a survey on a trawler.* If I develop the check list I'll be happy to share.

I created a comprehensive list of things to check when we went down to look at the GB we subsequently bought. Since we knew almost nothing about this type of boat, I listed everything I could think of, from testing the nav lights to operating the stove.

It's just a matter of taking some time to visualize the boat from bow to stern and write down every component you can think of that should be examined or operated.

A short comment is to :
1.*** Check the hull for:
a. Rotten wood stringers
b. Blisters
c. Design flaws relative to good seaworthiness and boat handling.
2. ** Check the decks (all) for water damage
3. ** Check mechanicals.
4. ** Check the dollar value of boat in question.
5. ** Compare the boats capabilities w your needs, including your desires
but do it objectively. Then look at yourself and the boat again and repeat "do it objectively".

This is a very short "list" but your'e asking for a short course in boat surveying.
Study our archives.

If you can find a trawler owner nearby who would be willing to loan you his survey maybe you could develop a sumarized list of things that a pro feels is important. I think this would be a big help when looking at prospects.
Good luck!
Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Friday 5th of November 2010 02:46:59 PM

Check your PM. I sent you a Message
SD

I have been following Bill Dietrich, SV*Magnolia's website for several years now. It is very interesting, relates*from when he first bought the boat, outfitted it then singlehanded*on down through the Bahamas and Caribbean. He is in the Caribbean*French Islands now.
Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Friday 5th of November 2010 04:39:31 PM

Wow, small world. My ggggf was born on Marie Galante in the French West Indies. I've been planning on going someday and checking out the family, but I don't think I'll make it on a Trawler.

www.yachtsurvey.com/

Read the summaries of all the boats , not just the "trawler" , you may find a trawler is not first choice for your list of needs.

Sorry about the delay, but been out of town. I copied the check list to a spreadsheet and have condensed it down to four pages that deal with power boats. We've got our list started of boats we want to visit, 11 so far. I'm sure the check list will help a lot. I'll be glad to share if there is a way to download the Excel file.
Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom