36' or 42' re slips on Great Lakes ,Trent etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbie68

Veteran Member
Am hoping to spend at at least two seasons wandering the Trent, Rideau canals and Lake Huron. I recognize that bridge clearance is an issue to be dealt with. My other interest or concern is the availability of slips to accommodate a 42' trawler versus 36'. Will I have a significantly greater selection of slips / marinas by limiting myself to a 36'??
Comments?

Am hoping to spend at at least two seasons wandering the Trent, Rideau canals and Lake Huron. ... Will I have a significantly greater selection of slips / marinas by limiting myself to a 36'??
Comments?

Yes ... definitively, especially in the middle of season ... but ...
Do you really want to select a boat based on the two seasons of inconvenience?

Having cruised the Trent-Severn Waterway, the Rideau Canal, the Georgian Bay and the west side of Lake Huron from Port Huron to the Straits, I believe there would be no significant difference in slip availability based on a 36 ft versus a 42 ft boat.

The canals present many wonderful opportunities for tying up along lock walls surrounded by beautiful and peaceful parks, and for tying up on city walls in the heart of cities and small towns. None of these walls have length restrictions.

The Georgian Bay (northern end of Lake Huron) has some of the most beautiful anchorages you will encounter anywhere. Scattered within the 30,000 islands, there are marinas just as modern and complete as those found elsewhere.

Michigan has been aggressively rebuilding all of their marinas and have moved to substantially improved sea walls and floating docks.

What is causing your concern?

A 42 is considered a good size boat on the Lakes/canals, but GreatLaker is right, dockage availability for 36 or 42 wiLL be the same. Prices cheap on Cdn side. Trent is cooL but Huron is pretty boring.

I've cruised that area extensively over the years. I can assure you there is no issue with 42' boat. In fact Georgian Bay and Lk Huron really require the bigger boat.

I've cruised that area extensively over the years. I can assure you there is no issue with 42' boat. In fact Georgian Bay and Lk Huron really require the bigger boat.

We have cruised the Great Lakes extensively in our 34 ft AT with no issues, need or desire for anything larger. If you are referring to high winds and waves, the kind of weather that would dissuade us from venturing out in general keeps 42 ft boats from venturing out as well.

True

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

At Anchor Pointe marina on western Lake Erie I am paying 1200 a year for a 45' slip. At those prices you can stay a few seasons! In this part of the woods a large pizza is $10....

Back
Top Bottom