Thruster Noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dixie Life

Vessel Name
Aku Uka
Vessel Make
43’ DeFever
I just had a SidePower bow thruster installed. It's winter so I've only used it a couple times. But, it makes a lot of noise; SE80/185 12v model. The noise sounds like what you might hear from a bad bearing or gears. This can't be the case with a new unit so I'm guessing cavitation. The blades appeared to have enough clearance in the tube at installation and the job was done by a very respected yard. Any advice?

My SidePower makes noise too, sounds like a blender and works just fine.

That's how they sound.

We just replaced our mediocre ~5HP Wesmar bow thruster with a powerful 13HP Wesmar thruster. The difference in thrust is incredible.

To your query, the 5HP thruster was very quiet (because it wasn't doing much I guess) but the 13HP unit sounds like someone is shaking a bucket full of ball bearings. Quite jarring. But I am assured that it is normal; at least you know it's working.

Sorta like a Ninja blender

They are all noisy, especially if they are working right. Probably flow noise, and not anything mechanical.

Useful for waking up dock neighbors when leaving early to fish!!!

Thanks. I'm not happy about the noise. But, as long as nothing is wrong I'm good to go. Thanks again.

A 13 hp thruster is probably equivalent to a 20 hp outboard. Electric motors are either 100% or zero. How does a 20+ hp outboard sound at WOT, inside your bilge?

They are noisy so people will notice and be able to accuse you of "cheating". I use mine a lot anyway.

Our slip is near our harbor's fuel dock, and with more and more boaters steering their boats like a car with a bow thruster as opposed to using the rudder(s), we hear a lot of thrusters being used during the day. With the exception of hydraulic units that make no discernable noise other than the swirl of water, bow thrusters-- regardless of the size of the vessel--- all sound line a coffee can full of ball bearings being rolled down an iron staircase. Seems to be the nature of the beast.

Since the entire power drivetrain of a boat doesn't make nearly as much noise, I can only assume the grinding racket of an electric bow thruster is due to its gearbox, relatively crude construction, and the vibrations being amplified by the hull.

Just run a blender on deck....some will think that drinking and docking is more manly than using a thruster....:D

What do you mean some? We ALL think that's more manly!

Yes, they are noisy, as was my Vetus, (a new style prop helped some) but I would have the installer or preferably someone from the factory listen to it a bit and validate the noise level is OK for the expectation of that specific model.

th

To the OP- I think that is the exact same thruster I installed. It has been reliable since install in I think 2007. And noisy, unless batt is getting weak.

New 5 blade props are available which are said to cut noise, also touch sensitive variable speed joysticks allow less than full power/noise to be applied.

At first I thought it was cavitation. So I was thinking of adding a variable speed control unit. Hoping that slowly starting the water moving would reduce cavitation; as opposed to fully on. Any thoughts on that route?

Our slip is near our harbor's fuel dock, and with more and more boaters steering their boats like a car with a bow thruster as opposed to using the rudder(s), we hear a lot of thrusters being used during the day. With the exception of hydraulic units that make no discernable noise other than the swirl of water, bow thrusters-- regardless of the size of the vessel--- all sound line a coffee can full of ball bearings being rolled down an iron staircase. Seems to be the nature of the beast.

Since the entire power drivetrain of a boat doesn't make nearly as much noise, I can only assume the grinding racket of an electric bow thruster is due to its gearbox, relatively crude construction, and the vibrations being amplified by the hull.

Hydraulic thrusters make pretty much the same noise as electric thrusters. An electric motor is not very noisy in and of itself. Any more than an hydraulic one is. The noise is mostly airiation and cavitation from the blades plus some transmitted vibrations. Unless you are talking about the water jet thrusters. They are quieter. But weak in thrust.

Most thrusters are not crudely made IMO. At least the common brands aren't from what I've seen.

The ring blade units are supposed to be much quieter.

Carbon Fiber Ring Thruster Propulsion System

Hydraulic thrusters make pretty much the same noise as electric thrusters.

I suppose like everything else it depends on the design, construction, and installation. A 60-70 foot salmon buy-boat has recently been assigned to the end-tie on our dock. It has a hydraulic bow thruster. When it leaves the dock, the skipper uses the thruster to pivot the boat out 90 degrees from the end-tie. The only sound discernible over the boat's main engine is the burbling of the water coming out of the thruster.

A boat that previously used this end-tie is a similar-sized charter yacht. Its three-woman crew docked this boat using fore and aft thrusters and a wireless hand-held controller. Same deal: hydraulic thrusters and the only discernible sound was the burble of the water.

On the other hand..... the 120' corporate yacht Daedalus I was associated with on a project some years back had a very large electric bow thruster. While you could certainly hear the motor up forward in the crew's quarters and in the big galley immediately aft of them, from outside the boat all one heard was the burble of the water.

So maybe it's a matter of getting what one pays for.:)

I suppose like everything else it depends on the design, construction, and installation. A 60-70 foot salmon buy-boat has recently been assigned to the end-tie on our dock. It has a hydraulic bow thruster. When it leaves the dock, the skipper uses the thruster to pivot the boat out 90 degrees from the end-tie. The only sound discernible over the boat's main engine is the burbling of the water coming out of the thruster.

A boat that previously used this end-tie is a similar-sized charter yacht. Its three-woman crew docked this boat using fore and aft thrusters and a wireless hand-held controller. Same deal: hydraulic thrusters and the only discernible sound was the burble of the water.

On the other hand..... the 120' corporate yacht Daedalus I was associated with on a project some years back had a very large electric bow thruster. While you could certainly hear the motor up forward in the crew's quarters and in the big galley immediately aft of them, from outside the boat all one heard was the burble of the water.

So maybe it's a matter of getting what one pays for.:)
You can hear our hydraulic thrusters I suppose, but they are far quieter than similar sized boats using electric units. I doubt that off the vessel you would hear much from us other than the sound of the water, as you suggest.

I have an electric bow thruster and a hydraulic stern thruster. The electric is louder and has less thrust. But the hydraulic motor is submerged, while the electric motor is underneath a bunk forward.

I have an electric bow thruster and a hydraulic stern thruster. The electric is louder and has less thrust. But the hydraulic motor is submerged, while the electric motor is underneath a bunk forward.

We have electric bow & stern thrusters, identical 13 HP Wesmars. The stern thruster is far quieter than the bow, which would suggest the racket is generated at the props not at the motor, since the stern props are outside the hull.

My 24-volt thruster is very noisy, but I can live with that.

img_299389_0_5e26b39779a75b6029c943740660145e.jpg

I had a Vetus installed by Florida Bow Thrusters on the previous boat and it had the 5 blade prop. When out of the water if you hit it, it just made a whine noise. In water you could here it but it did not make near as much noise as many others that I have heard. It had a lot of thrust.

I just looked at some photos of the thruster install. I was wrong, it was not 5 blade it was 6 blade. I have no idea if that caused it to be more subdued than others. But it was.

I just switched my Vetus from the original 3 blade to the new 6 blade. No cavitation noise at all and just a whine. To the OP, how far below the actual surface of the water is the top of the tunnel and is that within spec of the installation guide?

I was just reading the Rolls Royce has invented a permanent magnet thruster with no shaft or motor, the prop blades and the case are the motor. Lower maintenance (fix it under water) and more thrust, way quieter. Good idea. No gear train to made all the noise and need maintenance.

I just switched my Vetus from the original 3 blade to the new 6 blade. No cavitation noise at all and just a whine. To the OP, how far below the actual surface of the water is the top of the tunnel and is that within spec of the installation guide?

Have you noticed any difference in performance? We have an older Vetus that is undersized and any increase in the thrust would be a help.

Have you noticed any difference in performance? We have an older Vetus that is undersized and any increase in the thrust would be a help.
Yes there is an improvement, but I can't really say how much because there was 6 months on the hard between old and new. I have the VETUS BSCHR12A thruster. No clue what the new prop part # is.

I just had a SidePower bow thruster installed. It's winter so I've only used it a couple times. But, it makes a lot of noise; SE80/185 12v model. The noise sounds like what you might hear from a bad bearing or gears. This can't be the case with a new unit so I'm guessing cavitation. The blades appeared to have enough clearance in the tube at installation and the job was done by a very respected yard. Any advice?

Look at it this way.....

The thruster sounds way better than the sound of crunching fiberglass against the dock!

HOLLYWOOD

:dance:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom