Bottom Paint Amount

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Budds Outlet

I'm looking for estimate or guestimates of how many gallons of bottom paint it will take to cover the bottom of a boat that is 38 feet LWL. Its a semi-displacement hull use in saltwater.

You will get a lot of answers that disagree based on paint and how applied.

1.5 gallons average for my 40 foot, 34 lwl.

But coverage will vary wildly...best to buy too much and return or save.

My experience too. 1.5 gallons on my 40' including one rudder. If you get 2 gal, put a second coat on high wear areas and leave some for when you're being launched to cover the blocked areas.

My experience too. 1.5 gallons on my 40' including one rudder. If you get 2 gal, put a second coat on high wear areas and leave some for when you're being launched to cover the blocked areas.
:thumb:

Dan, with the Seattle Boat Show coming up in a couple of weeks there should be some specials from West Marine, Fisheries and maybe some of the paint manufacturers, so wait for the show to start.

I used two gallons to put two coats on my boat and wished I'd bought a third. Like was mentioned above, buy more than you need and return one if needed.

It also depends on the air temperature and bottom condition. But in Puget Sound, 70 degree weather, 1.5 gal will normally do it. Buying 2, one gallon cans is probably not much more than quarts and you can always save or use what's left for touch up or your dingy.

Back
Top Bottom