Security (other than weapons)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you have for security when you're on your boat?

We lock and set alarms always, including perimeter alarms. In a high risk anchorage, we would keep share being on watch, but we'd prefer not to even anchor in such an area. Stepping on the boat one would be met with a Non-Lethal Deterrent. These come in three basic forms: Sirens, Lights, Smoke

I think we tend to overlook what is referred to as Non-Lethal Deterrents. While Petty Theft may not require them, high risk areas of piracy definitely would and all other situations are somewhere in between. But these non lethal deterrents are even what the USCG recommends in areas of risk and what cargo ships in high piracy areas are going to.

While we don't obsess about security, we will be boating in the Caribbean and other areas that have had incidents from theft to attacks to piracy. Now, honestly, the odds of being attacked are probably greater ashore and may well be higher walking along the streets at home. Still, we do feel better with security.

As to those who leave things unlocked and the keys handy, we don't fault them. I once owned a house right after college that when I got ready to sell it I had to get keys made since I'd long ago lost mine. But today I wouldn't leave it unlocked as I did then. And that isn't changed times, it's older and wiser me. There were plenty of thefts around the lake back then.

And this thread wasn't started to determine a right or wrong, anymore than we will with anchors. Simply to hear what others do. And in that regard it's working, especially with an entirely new concept I'd not considered, slugs. I must indicate however that several of those currently with us are not open to that idea.

I too find this "I never lock my boat" theory rather odd. I get the convertible car analogy but I'm not sure it's apples to apples.

I can't imagine being the easiest boat on the pier to enter. Seems to me leaving some lights on, locking up and perhaps having an alarm light or warning sign on board, even if you don't actually have an alarm, would encourage a thief to move on to another, easier target. But to each his own.

Convertible cars. I remember my first. Everyone asked if I wasn't scared of it being broken into. I asked why? Their answer was the top. I then asked why in the world did they think a thief would get the equipment and go to the trouble of trying to cut through the top when it was so much easier just to break a window out.

As to the alarm signs, have you ever wondered how many of the homes with such signs, actually are alarmed? But then in older times it was signs of vicious or dangerous guard dogs. I knew a man who had such a sign at his gate and the only dog was his wife's poodle. Well, he claimed it was his wife's but it sure seemed to follow him every step.

Guard slugs work sort of like exploding dye packets in bank bags. You just go down the docks looking for anybody covered in silver slime trails. I have heard that the trails will glow under a black light.

I like a good cattle prod beside the bed for peace of mind,and i'm sure one could rig something up with an electric fence unit,having been bitten a few times by these nasty things i would not go looking for seconds.
Gordon

I know, I know!

How about leaving an ugly, mangled, roadkill stuffed skunk with fake pouch hung out its sorry ass and fake blood all over its drooping tail hanging just inside against the door window!

Even a crack head understands what that could mean if entered!

Last edited:
Guard slugs, it's all good until they fall into the water.

With all the guesses and smart intentions being posted as how to best keep thieves off boat...

Locks are there to help keep basically honest people... well... basically honest!

If thief wants to get in your boat and spend a few short minutes ransacking/stealing there taint very much can be done about that.

IMHO - Make doors etc look locked but leave it easy enough for the thief to get in without breaking windows / prying doors / kicking through hatches. Dollar losses are much less in the long run.

Last edited:
My guard bear:

img_299536_0_06ba6bd8dfb83548a38f3fc07db68421.jpg

The Twins! :dance:

P6115346.JPG

Larry
M/V Boomarang

Did you happen to stray onto the wrong boat?

The problems I've been aware of in our marina with break-ins have all be of a casual nature--- a cabin door or window was left unlocked or a lock was easily defeated.

Earlier generation boats of our make have a gap between the main cabin door and the door frame. The latch and the deadbolt are visible in this gap. On top of that, the deadbolt mechanism on the earlier boats like ours has a weak detent system--- it's pretty easy to simply push the deadbolt back if you can get to it. Even though we have long since replaced the original corrosion-prone plated door latch/lock mechanisms on both the main cabin and aft cabin doors with identical units made of 316 stainless, the inner workings of the deadbolt are unfortunately also identical.

Remembering back to my childhood in Hawaii where one of the houses we lived in had a similar setup on the back door that I could open with a pocket knife blade, I decided to try to defeat the potential for this on our boat.

The solution was very simple as illustrated in the photo. A friend cut out the piece of stainless for me and it is through-bolted to the door as well as glued to the door with 3M 5200.

The reason it does not overlap the door frame very much is that when the door is opened it misses the handrail by only a half inch or so. So the plate cannot stick out any further or it will hit the rail. But at least it covers the gap.

Yes, a determined thief could pry the plate back and perhaps break the wood enough to get at the latch and deadbolt with a knife blade or credit card. But I'm hoping that by making it a bit harder to get the door open, he'll just move on to the next boat.

When we stripped and repainted the door some years after the photo was taken we simply left the plate in place and painted it again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
A "Beware of Dog" sign is a sure deterrent even without the dog.

In our case, we do have the dog so watch out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 86
Well I can NOT disclose where this training happens or the oganisation inwhich this training is conducted....BUT shhhhhhhhh never the less I do have some surveillance pictures and I can not tell you how I come to have them BUT ........I can tell you about each picture....

Two of the pictures are of actual live training...One a night maneuver (training to apprehend the intruder in total surprise and the other is just another day with tough training....

Now the one picture shows that these security sluggs are licensed so no worries

Now then there are two sercurity sluggs shown and NO one knows who these guys are other then the men in black but they wont talk about it.....

The last is just a reminder to be careful if you choose to try and find this training....It is gaurded well with heavy servailence..............

Attachments

• IMG_20150117_013856.JPG
    IMG_20150117_013856.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20150117_013932.JPG
    IMG_20150117_013932.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20150117_014008.JPG
    IMG_20150117_014008.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20150117_013740.JPG
    IMG_20150117_013740.JPG