What interior style do you like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Modern VS Traditional

• Modern

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Traditional

Votes: 42 82.4%

• Total voters

N4712

Guru
Vessel Name
Oliver
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Have been looking at boats with more traditional interiors, and modern styled interiors. I tend to like the modern styled interiors my self, but that could be because I'm young. Not really sure.

So whats the TF Consensus?

I like the Herreshoff style interiors , maybe because I'm old and I like traditional stuff . Or maybe because I'm a half ass decent wood worker . Those European guys I think are better at the modern styles of interiors .

Yes, there are many boats coming out of Europe with the modern style interiors. I'm not a fan of them. I like a more traditional style I think it's warmer more comfortable feel overall.

Would not be surprised if there's an age bias on one vs. the other. For what it's worth I've recently celebrated the 10th anniversary of my 31st birthday.

Prefer "boat-like" interiors rather than those looking like someone's dirt-home living room. Prefer wood over plastic.

img_298495_0_1e73de7b9d96d19c39c762a968f23f00.jpg

I can go either way on the topic as traditional is so as it tends to never go out of style. However a tastefully done modern interior in muted tones can be nice too.

I'm perhaps in the minority as I was one of the few people on the planet that liked Steve Jobs personal yacht that was completing construction when he died. At the same time I also like Johnny Depp's yacht that is extremely traditional inside and out as two examples of the extreme.

Both styles have a place IMO it is just a matter of personal preference. Am 46 years old FWIW.

Any one that doesn't leak.

Ease of use, easy to keep clean and easy to repair. I was once a guest on a large Italian yacht on Lake Washington, it belonged to the ex-owner of Bayliner... the interior was European and very modern, but entirely finished with suede(!) and wool carpets which looked GORGEOUS but I suspect the yacht would be replaced the first time a grandchild spilled his orange juice.

My wife and I like Grand Banks interiors, Fleming interiors, and Krogen interiors. However our favorite interiors have never been production boats but restorations/modernizations/customizations of working boats. One of our all-time favorites is pictured below.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421174098.636739.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421174151.000046.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421174213.379591.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421174285.923551.jpg

Last edited:
I can go either way on the topic as traditional is so as it tends to never go out of style. However a tastefully done modern interior in muted tones can be nice too.

I'm perhaps in the minority as I was one of the few people on the planet that liked Steve Jobs personal yacht that was completing construction when he died. At the same time I also like Johnny Depp's yacht that is extremely traditional inside and out as two examples of the extreme.

Both styles have a place IMO it is just a matter of personal preference. Am 46 years old FWIW.

I feel the same way too.

When i first saw Venus come out, I thought it was beautiful. (I still do)

This some of our wheel house area . I like simple probably because I can do simple . Solid wood is always easier for me to repair. Plus I work for a hardwood lumber company so materials are easy to come buy. I would screw up a fancy interior with a screwdriver left in my back pocket or caulking on my pants .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 157
Most boat designers forget that you will not be eating or running the boat all the time. They put in nice dinettes and helms but usually forget to put in a comfortable chair.

I feel the same way too.

When i first saw Venus come out, I thought it was beautiful. (I still do)

Venus di Milo

Totally agree.

But when it came to boats, when Julie and I saw the Krogen, her only comment was, "perfect, it had more rooms than our N.Y. apt."

Depends if it is a "use it boat" or a "look at it boat"...

Until you get to a certain size...I want a boat that is nearly indestructible to keep maintenance down if it is used hard...Commercial build almost.

I personally don't want a boat that you need to take your street shoes off or that young kids are a constant threat to woodwork.

Modern or old...give me nearly industrial strength....like other peoples's golf course like lawns or beautiful gardens...I'll just look at their's and use and abuse mine in the go-go-go fashion.

Apparently I am a sucker for the classics if by classic is meant old fashioned material like wood, rock, and steel. I am comforted by these in living spaces and also like lots of windows and light so that the inside space is like an extension of the outside.
I think I know in my heart that modern materials are often superior in many ways but am always more affected by the traditional in both home and boat.
These are both 'use it' spaces and often full of kids and young adults, though we try to treat them both with respect as we use them.
To each his own on this question I am sure.......

Attachments

• kw salon2.png
    kw salon2.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 777
  • kw salon.png
    kw salon.png
    107.5 KB · Views: 760
  • kw settee.png
    kw settee.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 813
  • home.jpg
    home.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 148
Have been looking at boats with more traditional interiors, and modern styled interiors. I tend to like the modern styled interiors my self, but that could be because I'm young. Not really sure.

So whats the TF Consensus?

A photo is worth a thousand words.......:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 224
When we bought this Eagle it was to stark and shippy, so we decided go make our more comfortable and warm. New curtain, counter tops, carpet, lighting, upostery, electric fire place and Webasto diesel heat. No major structural that changed the classic design and look.

So buy classic or new design and change to your liking and comfort.

To me, that is as good as it gets. Any more information on that would be appreciated.

The Gikumi was built in Vancouver, BC sometime in the 1940s to be the utility vessel for the lumber mill at Telegraph Cove on the northeast coast of Vancouver Island. In this service it hauled logs and lumber, pulled small barges, transported people and supplies and a million other things.

When the mill closed in (I think) the late 1960s or early 70s, the Gikumi was sold to an enterprising scuba diver who, with his wife, converted it into what became the first commercial whale watch boat on the west coast of North America. The little cabin aft of the pilothouse was significantly extended and the flying bridge was added. The rather Spartan interior was completely redone with results you see in my photos.

The whale watch business (Stubbs Island) became a big success and a large aluminum whale watch boat was built for them named the Lukwa. The other year another, smaller aluminum boat was added.

The Gikumi has been phased out of the whale watch business and is now used for week-long wildlife charters for up to six passengers (minimum four). Two small staterooms and a head were added under the aft deck and a third stateroom was created in the small forward cabin.

I took the interior photos a couple of years ago during a special cruise commemorating the 100th anniversary of Telegraph Cove.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
She's lovely - my next boat!

I agree, Gikumi is one of a kind, I like the traditional.
I have lots of varnished wood inside, definitely not modern,
I hope this doesn't remove me from the traditional.
Ted

Attachments

• unnamedQVHYYSBJ.jpg
    unnamedQVHYYSBJ.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 121
I agree, Gikumi is one of a kind, I like the traditional.
I have lots of varnished wood inside, definitely not modern,
I hope this doesn't remove me from the traditional.
Ted

She's a beauty Ted.

Looking at your avatar, I thought I recognized your vessel, and a quick look back at my 2014 cruising photos came up with the attached. August in Port Harvey.

Attachments

• DSC_4664.jpg
    DSC_4664.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 135
Yes Conrad,
Joel has a place there.
He brought her to Campbell River August 10th for sea trial, survey am of 11th,
Dorothy and I bought her that day.
We moved aboard Aug. 15th
Ted

Yes Conrad,
Joel has a place there.
He brought her to Campbell River August 10th for sea trial, survey am of 11th,
Dorothy and I bought her that day.
We moved aboard Aug. 15th
Ted

She is gorgeous Ted. The photo was taken on August 9 so this would have been her last day at that dock.

I'll keep an eye out for you when I'm either dock walking or cruising.

Likewise Conrad.
I think I've seen your boat at Discovery Harbour Marina, but not lately.
We're tied up in Browns Bay Marina.
Ted

Ted, that boat is absolutely perfect. Every time I come across your avatar I stop and ogle it for a few seconds. Beautiful.

Regarding the OP, I tend to favor a more traditional style. Many more modern designs look cool now, but 15 years from now, I can hear people asking 'what the hell were they thinking?' In case it's relevant, I'm 31 and have never been accused of being trendy or even cool. My Sperrys and I are okay with that.

I believe the most important factor to me is large windows. Maybe that is in part to the fact that I like hanging out in the Pacific Northwest and the weather can be chilly or drizzly, especially in Autumn. Next, I like a bit a place to move around in the galley. I don't want to feel crowded and I like natural light. If those characteristics are present I would prefer a traditional style.

Kirk

Because we live in Alaska the galley down makes for a warm boat. Also windows at setting level in is important for the Admiral.

For the boat, I love a traditional teak interior like we have on our Tug (it actually has a factory upgrade package). But for our dirt house, it is modern all the way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom