Quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffnick

Guru
Vessel Name
Big Duck
Vessel Make
'72 Land-N-Sea
In another thread, there was a lot of talk about quality...design, materials, construction techniques. I'm wanting to purchase a quality boat. What characteristics should focus on?

In another thread, there was a lot of talk about quality...design, materials, construction techniques. I'm wanting to purchase a quality boat. What characteristics should focus on?

The ability for the boat to safely and reliably accomplish the mission that the designer intended it to do.

The ability of the boat to stand the test of time, and still acomplish the mission that the designer intended it to do.

The ability of the boat to accomplish its mission, over time, while keeping ongoing maintainance costs, and or the time required to maintain it, at or below industry standards.

Thats quality.

Last edited:
Depends what you 'reasonably' expect the boat to do in its life. The more robust and seaworthy you expect the more expensive you will have to pay.

Depends what your definition of quality is.

Is quality knowing your boat has the least amount of compromises for the way you want to use it and is equipped with trustworthy systems, or does quality mean that you think people will turn and stare in envy when you enter the marina?

There are of course some construction techniques with advantages over others. For example with cored fiberglass a honeycomb core is, to me anyway, superior than a wood core. Unlike wood, it won't rot and if water gets in it will not spread past where the leak is. There are hundreds if not thousands of choices like these in designs and materials. However unless you're custom building from scratch many have been made for you. And if you're buying used, well most all have. What i think it's better to focus on is what do you want to do with the boat in the next 5-6 years.

This will formulate a list of needs. You can split them into "must haves" and "like to have" then back into the design, materials and construction of the boats that fit the bill.

For example, if I were buying a boat to do the great loop a must have is a max height under a certain amount so I can fit under all bridges. On the other hand stabilizers may be a nice to have if needed at all. However if I was buying a boat to cruise back and forth from Bermuda, I wouldn't care about the max height but stabilizers become a must have.

I think with your list of needs then looking at what's available in your budget becomes an easier approach.

Well said No Mast

Quality boats for sale are most often intricately described, and it's up to you to know what they are describing. Brand named parts and pieces, a lot of solid feel to things like hinges, latches, and doors. Windows with reputations like Seaglaze, roofs with enough overhang to not drip into the windows or doorway when opened. Intelligent designs, and a short list of defects in the Owners Forum :) Keep reading, you are on the right track here.

Mark Bruckmann will build you a high quality 40' boat for under $550k, he did it for the Labatt family and the Molson family :)

Mark Bruckmann will build you a high quality 40' boat for under $550k, he did it for the Labatt family and the Molson family :)

Can't resist, who are the Labatt's & Molson's? And for that matter who is Mark Buckmann?

Quality is not always apparent and shabby craftsmanship can be hidden under fiberglass and face panels. Sometimes the best indication of quality is based on who built the boat. If the builder and his crew are known for good work it is more likely the critical components hidden bonds joints and installations are done right. A good surveyor or experienced yachtsman can often spot quality by seeing how things were put together and finished. For those of us without the experience best to count on the builders reputation.

On a new build or recent build you are working in the blind.

Even the best materials poorly used or formulated will not produce quality.

On an older boat...what has lasted and to what degree?

What was done to ensure water didn't contact wood, water didn't pool, repetitive weight didn't hit the same area and if need be...was it reinforced?...etc...etc...

On a new build or recent build you are working in the blind.

Even the best materials poorly used or formulated will not produce quality.

On an older boat...what has lasted and to what degree?

What was done to ensure water didn't contact wood, water didn't pool, repetitive weight didn't hit the same area and if need be...was it reinforced?...etc...etc...

There are some builders known for quality and even with a new model you are probably going to get a good boat but often expensive. Many European boats and boats like Fleming would fit that category. Where boats are sold in volume because the price is right getting quality gets much more iffy. To give quality good often expensive materials must be used and skilled labor going the extra mile to make it right that all costs more.

Seems I offended Americans and Canadians, in one hit. Here we have rivalry between the states over beer brands, eg outside Queensland some people call Four X (XXXX) Possum Piss. Oops, offended someone else. Wait til I get started on Sauvignon Blanc.

Canadian Heritage Moment;

(Molson stage right, Labatt's stage left)

I don't know what it is about boaters interest in alcohol. Boats run on wind-diesel and gasoline not so well on alcohol of any brand.

I agree totally, and haven't had a drop in almost 5 years. But, as a Canadian I must say, "ALL HOSERS HAIL BOB AND DOUG MCKENZIE!"

I'll have you all know that I am considered Canadian royalty by marriage (seriously eh).
My wife is a blood relative to the McKenzie Brothers.
Lemee 'splain...The characters of Doug and Bob McKenzie were named after the owner of ITV Studios in Edmonton (Bob Allard) and the CFO and Executive Producer for SCTV (Douglas Holtby) who is my wife's uncle. While not exactly a trawler type, Doug is a boater here on The Great White North's left coast and took delivery last year of a stunning new Riviera 60 Sportbridge.
Almost forgot...The whole McKenzie brothers skit came about as a way to take a poke at the CRTC and their demand for Canadian content.

Last edited:
Who are the Labatts and Molsons? Guessing you don't drink much Canadian beer.

There are so many amazing things in Canada. I think in the spirit of goodwill we should all overlook their beer.

Greetings,
Labatts is now owned by Anheuser-Bush and Molsons is owned by Coors both brands that are worth overlooking.

There are so many amazing things in Canada. I think in the spirit of goodwill we should all overlook their beer.

Agreed! With fixed pricing there is little reason to create GREAT beer, just beer.

I'm herein a tryen ta get dis thread back on course here... and, to get you guys ta back away from the tavern trough... at least for a minute - LOL Above is the OP's 1st post... ya know... the real gist of this thread!

So... jeffnick: I recall posts o' yours from years ago that well described the boat in your avatar and what you did with it. My question is; what do you plan ta do with your "new" boat that you're asken quality questions about. Still looken ta tow behind a van and use as dual puropse camper/water-play. Or, have ya come into some loot and plan to dock in water for cruisen da high seas!

Inquiren minds would like ta know.

BTW: Check out Tollycraft boats if you plan on buying used (see my avatar). Good prices, great quality, real seaworthy, very comfortable. Just make sure the PO(s) kept her up well.

OK, guys - back ta drinken!! :rofl:

Why do you want a quality boat?

Why do you want a quality boat?

Baker - My simple answer your clear question:

Ya know how most of us boat luven guy owners refer to our beloved boats in feminine tense, e.g. she, her, my queen, baby, doll, sweetheart... and the like. Unless of course she's pissed-us-of; then we call her bitch, whoree, dip-shat and the like!

Well... boats are very much like living girls; in that... taint always easy to get into a meaningful relationship. But, once accomplished it can be even harder to get back out. So... as with all relationships... best to start with at least perceived quality. If things go south thereafter we need to make maneuvers that work in best interest for all concerned. However, if the relationship blossoms and we become even more attached than at the onset... then, there could be many blissful years of play-time ahead!

Happy Quality-Boat-Luven Daze! - Art :socool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom