Marine Trader Sliding Salon Doors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Priority

Vessel Name
Priority
Vessel Make
1981 Marine Trader 44'
Does anyone have suggestions for replacing the sliding doors on my 1981, 44 Marine trader. I still have the original teak ones and would like to update. Thanks!

Are the original doors too far gone to rebuild ?

The port door was scorched by a fire on board the boat next to me. That is fixable, but the heat warped the door. I suppose that is fixable also. However, I would like to install fiberglass doors, or something comparable.

If you can get one off for a day or so...a good glass guy could make a mold and punch 2 with foam cores out in no time...probably an easy grand or two...but you would have lightweight, gel coated doors to match your cabin sides with some decent relief to them.

DIY isn't out of the question either....

I have thought about using Starboard to make some nice doors. You can work with it just like wood.

MT 44 Doors

Howdy, I've worked with starboard a lot and it's HEAVY compared to wood. Add to that, the color can't be changed to match your vessel, fastenings don't hold very well so you'll have to thru-bolt all your hardware, and sealants for your windows won't stick to it either. You could use butyl tape for the sealant but I don't see overcoming the other shortcomings. It's hard to beat good 'ol wood for this application. The fiberglass suggestion is the best alternative. They could actually be lighter than a wood door. You will have to insert some wood into the sandwich where your hardware will be mounted, or maybe some aluminum plate. Sounds like a good project. I had a 44 MT for a number of years (lived aboard) and redid my doors every couple of years to keep them looking good. Good luck, Ben

Thanks for the input. I am going to check this weekend and see if I can get the slight warp out of the port door. If so I think I will sand off the scorched area and refinish it. If that doesn't work I think fiberglass is next on my list.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom