canvas question for those in sunny climates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt Kangeroo

Vessel Name
NONE
Vessel Make
NONE
Hi Guys, I am looking to replace my canvas and I noticed not a single boat in my marina on the Gulf coast has tinted vinyl windows on their bimini and/or enclosed aft decks, is there a reason for this?

I've never had a`boat before this one that didn't have the tinted vinyl but I am baffled why in this hot sunny climate I don't see more boats with it. Thought I had best ask before getting my new tops made in the event there is an issue with the tinted stuff here in the south.

No idea but question if heat gain could be an issue? Our black canvas looks great on the boat but can be tough to live with on the dog days of summer.

I've seen it on a number of SeaRay's in this area. Gold or bronze tint by the look of it.

Via iPad using Trawler Forum

We made a full fly bridge enclosure 2 years ago. We did not use canvas. We used Stamoid. It is a vinyl coated woven polyester fabric. We used a light tan color and Strataglas "low E" windows which have a light tint and reflect heat to some extent. Today, everything still looks like the day it was installed. We've had Sunbrella in the past and I will never use it again after experiencing Stamoid. If you see,any mold at all, it wipes off with a damp cloth. Suggest you "Google" Stamoid before you make a decision.

Howard

I put Stamoid on my boat, we're going into the 15th season. We're on the Great Lakes so we do get winters off but with this stuff you definitely get what you pay for.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

Thanks for the input guys. As truly bizarre as it may be, judging by the answers it appears that there is no reason why many boats in the north have the tinted vinyl windows and "don't really need them" while boats in the south that could benefit greatly "do not". It must be an esthetic thing?

CafeSport, in Miami "of all places" I would have expected "most" boats to have the tinted vinyl.

In any case now that I know there is no reason I can't, I will. The tint not only cuts down on the heat & UV damage to the interior but also does not show the dirt or scratches like the clear does.

Bad low light visibility!

Visibility is too important a safty issue in navigation, for you and other boaters around you! Strataglass came out with darker tints about ten years ago and sold like hotcakes, but proved impractical except for maybe lower aft areas. Even at dusk or on a dark overcast day the visibility was tough,then add normal limiting factors like dried salt or rain. Forget about coming in after dark or that pre dawn fishing trip!
If you want a tint "Go light".Strataglass has some light tints available The Strataglass a bit more expensive but well worth it. The only window vinyl I offer!

I have EZ2CY which I believe is the same as Stratoglass? We put the screen like material on separate zippers on the inside. Some boats put it on the outside of their windshields. It does a great job killing the sun and heat and if you need to just unzip the panels. I've only seen this done on the harder type 'glass' not the roll up versions.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

I have EZ2CY which I believe is the same as Stratoglass?

No, EZ2CY is rigid, I think polycarbonate, similar to another product called Makrolon. We have the latter on our front three panels, and the center panel can be "hinged" up and snapped to the underside of our hardtop.

Stratoglass can be rolled, and I think it's from a family of products by various makers often called "sheet vinyl." Other examples are Ultralite/Regalite. The other seven panels of our enclosure are the latter (.040 gauge) , and all have U-shaped "smiley's" that can be unzipped and rolled up.

All of our original panels were Stratoglass, but there was an era where they were apparently having some kind of problems with the coatings. I think all that's been sorted out for several years, now, though.

-Chris

Last edited:
I have lexan and weblon gray inside to reduce glare. would never have canvas and vinyl again. If you have a good canvas shop thin lexan can be curved to make prefect corners. The visibility is excellent and Instead of rolling it and scratching it you hinge it up.

This is how we do it in FL. notice the clear curved corners.

<a href="http://s70.photobucket.com/user/tacdp/media/P1000077.jpg.html]
img_297700_1_59569e8636960274050c34c781354958.jpg
[/URL]" target="_blank">

Last edited:
We cruise about 3,500 miles/year. Our experience is that windows that hinge up to open do not offer the ability to partially unzip a window to create a breeze rather than fully opened to admit a cold wind. When it's hot, we unzip completely and roll the window up. Zippered, roll up windows of top quality like Strataglas are a good investment in comfort as you can "control" airflow to a significant degree. Howard

Our experience is that windows that hinge up to open do not offer the ability to partially unzip a window to create a breeze rather than fully opened to admit a cold wind.

I agree. Some of our owners club members have created that ability in the canvas (or Stamoid or Sunbrella or whatever) surround... so they have the best of both worlds. I wish they had mentioned that before we had ours made.

Not to worry; if I wanted to, I could retrofit a solution to that. :)

-Chris

AS the sun shines in, the reduction of light requires the energy to go somewhere.

It is absorbed by the dark color of the tinted window.

If most of the area can be kept open the heat gain is not a problem.

If you close up to air condition the oxygen tent the AC requirement will be higher.

Sheriff Bubba reflective sunglasses could put the heat elsewhere , but rolling and unrolling might cause scratches.

Nicest of all covering for open areas is 2 ply fabric.

The outside is a nice light color to reflect heat , the inside is much darker to keep eyeballs from frying underneath from the light reflected off the water.

I have lexan and weblon gray inside to reduce glare. would never have canvas and vinyl again. If you have a good canvas shop thin lexan can be curved to make prefect corners. The visibility is excellent and Instead of rolling it and scratching it you hinge it up.

This is how we do it in FL. notice the clear curved corners.

Bayview

Looks like a great job on yours do you remember who did your work?

I'm about to replace my clears,covers and bimini and am interested to know if anyone has used Vybak 2. It is a little cheaper than Stratoglass and not quite as clear but by all accounts is more forgiving of a little less TLC than Stratoglass.

siesta: The work was done by thebest shop in the st. pete area USYC us yacht cushions run by the Winklers.

For ventilation questioned above notice the small smilies that allow air flow If we don't want the window open.

Once you have polycarbonate (lexan) you will never go back to vinyl

siesta: The work was done by thebest shop in the st. pete area USYC us yacht cushions run by the Winklers.

For ventilation questioned above notice the small smilies that allow air flow If we don't want the window open.

Once you have polycarbonate (lexan) you will never go back to vinyl

Great Thanks

and yes I saw the small smillys he may of missed those that was another reason I wanted to know who did yours

you are nearby and the work looks very good

Winkler designed and added that brow as well so that I could have less rain on the front .

the great thing about lexan is that it looks as clear years later as it did on day one. Try that with that roll up vinyl.

USYC knows how to sew, not glue, 60 ga lexan directly to the canvas.

other shops say it cant be done. The curved corners are 30 ga. normally too thin for flat windows but when curved they become very stiff. All in all a great job that has been copied by many of my friends.

Last edited:
A different slant... we have a seven knot boat and eliminated the vinyl altogether... only time I missed it was during a squall when we had to maintain steerage through the driving rain in a crowded anchorage. We are in RI and dress for the weather. Much better visibility "naked".

Sounds like you are looking for relief from the sun. I also have a stamoid bimini on the flybridge with clear isenglass enclosure. We had panels of a shade-cloth material made of phyfertex from sailrite that zip in inside the enclosure. It virtually disappears in the bright sun and you can either roll it up or take it down completely when the sun goes down.. I am sure there are other suppliers but you can get it here--- Phifertex Plus Vinyl Mesh Black 54" Fabric -- Sold by the Yard Just sayin'

A different slant... we have a seven knot boat and eliminated the vinyl altogether... only time I missed it was during a squall when we had to maintain steerage through the driving rain in a crowded anchorage. We are in RI and dress for the weather. Much better visibility "naked".
I also want to add the obvious advantages of not having to roll and unroll windows every time we use the boat, cleaning, polishing, zipper maintenance, etc. I believe that I will lengthen the bimini to cover more of the upper helm and deck but no plastic.

Back
Top Bottom