Panama Canal Fee Going Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anchoring in Lake Gatun looks hazardous with many snags from century-old trees. Cutting the trees at waterline rather than their complete removal was a disservice to boaters.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv94%3B%3A%3Dot%3E2454%3D42%3B%3D66%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B53863%3B%3A8245ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv5%3C69%3Dot%3E2454%3D42%3B%3D66%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B5388968%3B245ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv938%3C%3Dot%3E2454%3D42%3B%3D66%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B53889689245ot1lsi

It's not particularly hazardous when you anchor in the designated anchoring areas.

It's not particularly hazardous when you anchor in the designated anchoring areas.

Whoosh! My impression is that would be small proportion of the lake. :peace:

Yes, what's the story please. 6 people, side tied to the wall, 24' tender, what did you feed the advisor? :)

There were only three of us aboard. The port captain granted us an exemption due to our size.

We made sandwiches, had snacks and home made brownies as I recall.

Our agent had to get us a port-a-potty for the RIB because the port captain insisted there be a head on board for the advisor.

It was a grin running the lake and canal system at 20+ knots in an open boat in the rain at night to pass some large vessels and jump up in line. :)

Always prefer east-toward-west travel. I'd rather have 25-hour days rather than 23-hour days. ... By the way, the Atlantic entrance to the Panama canal is west of the Pacific Ocean end.

Sorry....South to North is easier than the North to South.

There were only three of us aboard. The port captain granted us an exemption due to our size.

We made sandwiches, had snacks and home made brownies as I recall.

Our agent had to get us a port-a-potty for the RIB because the port captain insisted there be a head on board for the advisor.

It was a grin running the lake and canal system at 20+ knots in an open boat in the rain at night to pass some large vessels and jump up in line. :)

I would think you guys needed a head too. It sounds like a blast though. I can only imagine the looks you got from some of the ships.

Anchoring in Lake Gatun looks hazardous with many snags from century-old trees. Cutting the trees at waterline rather than their complete removal was a disservice to boaters. /QUOTE]

You can't just anchor in the lake. You need special permission to be in the lake other than for a transit. There are a couple of eco lodges and good fishing for peacock bass but for large boats you have to make arrangements.

Yup or you take a mooring which is what the ACP advisors prefer if you can't do the transit in one day.

Attachments

• lock 11.jpg
    lock 11.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 67
Who did you use?

We will be using Associated Yacht Services, agents through AYSS. Their agents are Alesandro Risi, Josimar Diaz, and Charles Langman. We have heard good things about Tina McBride, Panama Canal Transits, and also Roy Bravo, Emmanuel Agencies. We chose AYSS/Associated based on recommendations but also their office is in Balboa, so on the Pacific side. Roy's is in Colon, on the Atlantic side. I don't know where Tina's is. While the agents do service both directions, we still felt everything else being equal choose one on the side you're coming from. It's especially convenient if you're getting additional services.

"Do you mean a transit advisor? "

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. The guy on the boat with you. I don't know terminology.

I find these canal transits by pleasure boats fascinating. I'll probably never do one but enjoy reading about it.

You can do it with me :)

Back
Top Bottom