Dogs and Trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The real owner of our boat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Ginger in our Albin-25

Ginger is Sharpie/Boxer (+ other) mix who can handle stormy weather with ease.

Attachments

• 100_0726.jpg
    100_0726.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF1363.jpg
    DSCF1363.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 102
Humans love their dogs and they sure love us.

Our Ridgeback, Angus, is only 110 lbs, but he's a total force of nature. Bred to hunt African lions and other large game, but hates the water . . . probably because he has little buoyancy. He'll be on our Defever for the first time next week!

I can't remember if I already posted this on this forum, but it's one of my favorite pictures on our boat

My daughter, eating grapes and watching Scooby Doo with her dog:
img_20120513_160637.jpg

I can't remember if I already posted this on this forum, but it's one of my favorite pictures on our boat

My daughter, eating grapes and watching Scooby Doo with her dog:
img_20120513_160637.jpg

That is a great picture.

I sure wish this forum had a "like" function!

Thor's first dinghy ride...

Attachments

• Thor's First Dinghy Ride.jpg
    Thor's First Dinghy Ride.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 740
Bump...

Looking through old photo's and found this reminder that we need a bigger/better dinghy this year!

Attachments

• Zain in Livingston.jpg
    Zain in Livingston.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 125
Cripes that's a small dingy!

It's a 9' Livingston, so it takes two trips to get myself, Zain, my wife & daughter, the two yorkies, and our camera gear to shore. Looking forward to getting everyone to shore in one trip once the final new dinghy decision is made.

Rinky.jpg

No ferrying Merlin ashore to go potty anymore.

Today he has two choices...
He can swim ashore and come back on his own to go potty - which he prefers if we're within about a quarter mile of the beach

IMAG0445_BURST002.jpg

IMAG0544.jpg

Or he can go on the green mat.
IMAG0573.jpg

Anyone want to buy a SportYak and trolling motor?

TF, meet Maggie, my Brittany. She falls overboard a lot. She hates the dock, and rough seas, and water. Not much of a boat dog, but she sure is a sweetheart.

Attachments

• mgg.JPG
    mgg.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 121
TF, meet Maggie, my Brittany. She falls overboard a lot. She hates the dock, and rough seas, and water. Not much of a boat dog, but she sure is a sweetheart.

We've got one like that. Bred for semi-arid African savannas, not a water dog. Here he is thinking "how the hell do I get off this rock without getting my feet wet"?

img_298099_0_16b4f81974dcee334c80d4f18a327d9a.jpg
[/URL

Last edited:

Attachments

• Murray dogs Livingston.jpg
    Murray dogs Livingston.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Zain and Mini.jpg
    Zain and Mini.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
What is best breed of dog to have on a boat? We currently don't have a dog. I can think of some good reasons not to have one.

1. Fur all over the boat
2. No head for the dog
3. Their barking could create a disturbance at the marina
4. Some of them like to jump in the water and chase the fowl at the marina or other places
5. Fleas and ticks???
6. They chew up things including teak

Maybe man's best friend isn't his boats best friend.

Ah, forget this question. Just talked myself out of a dog.

First pick for Donsan, just a bunch of dock mates. :D The pic has been posted before.

Then Bella our cattle dog as a pup, 14 years ago. Along with a newer pic as the boss heading to the beach. Bella at this point has no idea she is old. Bella is a rescue from Bella Bella , the name stuck. What a blast , time is going past way too fast.

Attachments

• 615.jpg
    615.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 771.jpg
    771.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 1856.jpg
    1856.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 118
Polar going to the boat with a sore paw.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 112
Had big boat dogs---had small boat dogs. Small is easier/better!
Not much food, small poops, small pee, little to no shedding depending on breed, small barks, people think they're cute, just stick em under your arm to transport, train em to do business on wee wee pads or deck, and the list goes on. Meet Sailor (tan Toy Poodle), and Harley ("blue" Chihuahua).

Attachments

• IMG_1356 (1).jpg
    IMG_1356 (1).jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 106
When Molly was new to cruising. It was July, and HOT!

Attachments

• DSCN3809.jpg
    DSCN3809.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 116
Anybody have a schipperke? Belgian barge dogs who were bred to protect vsl and cargoes from thieves.
Several breeders will only sell these dogs to cruisers. They only come in one flavor, black and are compact to fit ondeck. very comfortable at sea
Many reported cases of these found hundreds of miles at sea, alive swimming after being washed overboard.

If you reconsider getting a dog, here's a little about Merlin, a Goldendoodle (1/2 Golden Retriever & 1/2 Poodle).

He doesn't shed and he's hypoallergenic. He never has a 'doggie smell' or bad breath. He can go 48 hours without having to go potty.

He gets a dose of Revolution every month so he has never had a single flea. Maybe once a year we'll find a tick, but never attached.

Most puppies will chew, but today the only thing Merlin 'attacks' is socks and 2X4's.
16447_10204620523966978_8311636862693754118_n.jpg

Unbelievably tolerant and gentle, especially with little ones.
imagejpeg_2_11.jpg

Great in the car
IMAG1025.jpg

or on any boat.
img_298237_3_53629b8e2c9272be86e98a32cedfb6f5.jpg

He works as a Therapy Dog - his idea, not mine.
IMAG0752.jpg

IMAG1986-1

Of course he loves the outdoors, but would just as soon be where the people are if everyone is inside. I'm told Doodles are quite smart and easily trained, but Merlin has had no formal training.
One More Time Around: How Not to Train Your dog

They come in 3 sizes -- 25, 50 or 90 lbs. Merlin is 50 lbs.

My wife is highly allergic to animals - we didn't have a dog for the first 40 years of marriage...finally decided to give a Doodle a try. He's perfect for us.

Besides being a good buddy, Zain does double duty pulling our daughter up mountains with his skijoring harness, and is always on gaurd for bears.

I watch his body language all the time...last year he was intently watching the beach when we were having dinner on the boat, so I followed his gaze, and there was a grizzly walking the beach.

When we go ashore, if Zain hits the beach relaxed, we all know there are no bears around :)

Attachments

• Zain pulling up mountain.jpg
    Zain pulling up mountain.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Zain on guard in Mnt's.jpg
    Zain on guard in Mnt's.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 111

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom