Stand up engine room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Generally though the boat has to be above 46' before a roomy ER can artfully be designed.

Know you said "generally," but I'd have to say the Defever 44 is an "Art-fully designed" exception to this rule -- and not just because we own one. ;)

As for losing vertical space elsewhere from a standup ER, our salon has 6'6" headroom. We could probably be OK with a little less!

Its been absolutely great to get all this varied input. My husband and I are finally getting out of Maine to go look at many different boats at Trawlerfest in Florida in a few weeks. Can't wait to check out those engine rooms in particular :) And as we do, we will keep the valuable insight from this forum in mind.

And post some pics please of some of the boats, and engine rooms, from Trawlerfest.

No need to post pics of the Florida warmth though. It will just make us Northerners suffer more.

We also went during our search, and it was very helpful in seeing the differences between manufacturers. Even if the exact model you're looking into wasn't there you can tell much by seeing other models from that manufacturer.

Some of the seminars were very helpful as well btw.

Our trawler is in florida right now and we'll be back there next week. Can't wait to lose the jacket and gloves :)

I was lucky enough to get aboard a Selene 36 last year and was very impressed with the engine room. I barely had to duck (6'1") and actually walked around the Cummins 330. Outside of the Great Harbour N-37, it was the best sub-40 ft. ER and utilities layout I've seen, and was a bit better than the Krogen 39.

Attachments

• Selene ER door.jpg
    Selene ER door.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 154
  • selene ER 1.jpg
    selene ER 1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 138
  • selene ER 2.jpg
    selene ER 2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 141
Here is a pic of the DeFever 46 PH and the 49 Euro PH engine room. When you enter the ER door that is shown, there is about a one foot deep area where I can fully stand up. Then it tapers aft from about 5' to the lazarette door at 3.5' where I took the pic. If I need more room, I can remove the sole panels. I haven't had to do that yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 154
I can not think of a greater waste of boat space (unless the boat is 75ft + ) than a ball room for an engine space.

Most engine work is PM , which is reduced by good engine choice , like having the service stuff on one side.

Most work in the ER is repairing crap , cheap systems choices , that would have been far easier to live with if the better gear or system was chosen.

Not common but the nicest ER I have ever seen was on a 65 ft MS named Feng Shuay that had done a couple of circumnavigations.

The engine room was in the BOW! as the engine (DD6-71) did not get sea sick from motion.

The Noisemaker and other gear was outboard in the wider part of the hull, easy to see and repair.

The rest of the vessel was dedicated to people , not iron and was very well done as she has interior room like it was 10 ft longer .

Today with engines 1/3 or 1/4 the weight this could easily be done as small as 40 45ft.

If like most folks you are going to purchase a used production cookie , you are stuck.

If a new build is in your future , finding a NA that is open to new ideas will be the only hassle.

Know you said "generally," but I'd have to say the Defever 44 is an "Art-fully designed" exception to this rule -- and not just because we own one. ;)

As for losing vertical space elsewhere from a standup ER, our salon has 6'6" headroom. We could probably be OK with a little less!

Art fully

great play on words

I can not think of a greater waste of boat space (unless the boat is 75ft + ) than a ball room for an engine space.

I guess it matters how you define "ball room." An ER sized for a normal adult (or two) to perform regular maintenance/repairs without turning into a pretzel is probably one of the best uses of space I can think of. Having been in numerous ERs before we bought our boat, I would never trade what we have for some of the cramped, inaccessible places I saw. But each to their own.

I couldn't disagree more. I'd have my ER in the salon if it could be done. IMO, you can't have too much room in the ER and the easier it is to access, the better.

Greetings,
Even in a stand up ER there are STILL places that one needs arms 4' long with 6 elbow joints but still loads better than crawling around on hands and knees and still needing 4' arms.

I read threads like this just to torture myself. I have wet dreams of about a stand up engine room.
I'd even settle for a space where I could contort into and lie down alongside the engine. Anything other than hanging upside down while trying to change out an impeller from the cockpit above.

Engine room

Engine room height not a problem for my helper.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 177
Standing up engine compartments are nice. But sadly most of the people that have them will probably hire the engine work done by others.
We all have engine compartments and work on our engines. The large ER is a blessing but at great cost. Both money and space. And one of the benefits is bragging rights over lesser boats and engine compartments.

You guys that think having a stand up E.R. is a waste of space are nuts.

On Volunteer we had a stand up ( it was 6'.. I am 6-2 ) E.R. on both boats I have had since have crawlers.. and they SUCK big time.. once you have had that kind of access anything else pales by comparison.

The N57 I spend time on has a stand up around the engine and a crawler behind.. it works great. The N46 I am also spending time on has a crawler and it SUCKS. I do not look forward to the day I must crawl around to the STBD side of the engine to transfer fuel.. roasted skin will be the order of the day.

If you just do short cruises a crawler is fine... but multi 24hr cruises you need access to be able to get around all the stuff that is hot and that spins.. or you will get bit.

The E.R. on Carl's Delfin is one to dream about as far as access and more important SAFETY when doing E.R. checks.. after all isn't that what E.R. checks are all about.. Safety?

On reflection this may be a bit of a regional issue.. on the East Coast passages can be all made in day hops.. on the West there are some pretty long jumps that are made even longer if the river bars shut down.

HOLLYWOOD

...... on both boats I have had since have crawlers.. and they SUCK big time.. once you have had that kind of access anything else pales by comparison.

Agreed

I have a "kneeler" engine room. Entry through the lifted galley down steps will allow you in and I keep a foam knee pad for traveling on. The battery box allows me a seat if I'm working in that area- but I'm still slightly bent over to keep from bumping my head. Lifting the floor panels in the saloon give great access.
Last night while running some wiring- I had a "lay down" engine room" as my sore old 55 YO bode used the starboard engine for a bed?ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421000662.026385.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421000681.761173.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421000713.024029.jpg

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421000816.102363.jpg

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

View attachment 35943

Or you can get an engine room like mine with a bed it it! That way when you get tired from bending over working on the engine and cussing the builders for shoehorning it into the small space, you can take a nap!

(The engine is under the right side bed in the pic). Seriously. ?

I'll see your bed and raise you a full galley! (engine behind stairs, entire enclosure lifts away to reveal 100% of engine)

456%2B001.jpg

But seriously, I was formerly employed by a Motor yacht builder (Admiral Marine Works - defunct). I spent lots and lots of time in the engine rooms of yachts that had "crawl type" engine rooms, "Stoop type" (around 5 feet), and full head room types.

The "full head room" engine rooms were the most comfortable and as a worker, being comfortable meant that I could focus on doing the best work possible. The "Stoop type" ER's were good also as many tasks were accomplished while stooped over anyway.

Unfortunately, while working in a crawl type ER's, the dominate thought on my mind was: "get me the hell out of here". This is not what you want people thinking about when they work on your boat.

Steve

A well designed/thought out ER is a pleasure and a poorly designed one is not.....stand up or crawl around...worked in plenty of both.

My single crawl around is now pleasurable....if it were twins instead of a single...it would be almost stand up in the middle, not outboard...but overall miserable to get around the engines. My size boat just has it's limitations so again till you get enough boat...design trumps headroom in my wrench turning book.

Not having stand up headroom in the ER and having a rotten unventilated crawl space are 2 different concepts.

Most engine service can be done sitting on a stool (or milk crate) , which is a far easier position than hunched over the engine.

Replacing a water pump, oil change , valve adjustment , can usually all be done far more comfortably sitting than standing.

There is a huge difference between what is required to comfortably perform PM , and what is required to waltz by the iron.

There is a huge difference between what is required to comfortably perform PM , and what is required to waltz by the iron.

Of course you are right about the difference between an impossible space vs a ballroom, but if I had a stand up engine room I'd be doing the waltz, the two step and the jitterbug in celebration!!:):)

Of course you are right about the difference between an impossible space vs a ballroom, but if I had a stand up engine room I'd be doing the waltz, the two step and the jitterbug in celebration!!:):)
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I'd be doing the waltz, the two step and the jitterbug in celebration!!:):)

Viva la difference , I would prefer that space and volume in the rest of the boat , where I live.

I think the point is that some designs don't compromise on either to an extent that's noticeable. :thumb:

I think the point is that some designs don't compromise on either to an extent that's noticeable. :thumb:
Depends....virtually all designs can be improved upon...not to say the original is bad...just improvements are easy after the hard work is done.

and anyone actually gives a darn about a few things.....

Unfortunately, while working in a crawl type ER's, the dominate thought on my mind was: "get me the hell out of here". This is not what you want people thinking about when they work on your boat.Steve[/QUOTE]

Ditto when I was busting my knuckles when employed as a major boat yard flunkie years ago. Today the yard that does things for us says our DeFever ER size saves on labor costs and allows a better job on their part. Makes sense to me.

But, some boats I really like are worth the smaller ERs, such as a Fleming 55 and MJM 50.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom