Thread: Money for loop
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 07:41 AM   #43
Tom.B
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Credit card companies don't always treat vendors very well and can charge some pretty steep fees for accepting CCs. Many times, fuel prices are kept low to stay competitive, so there isn't always the margin there to NOT want to give discounts for cash (or check). In addition, LOTS of marinas are in pretty rural areas and are small business ventures for the owners, fuel purchases are big ticket sales for them and fees add up quickly. a $0.10/gallon discount for 200-500 gallons means both a nice discount for us and better profits for the business. It's a win-win.

As to the original topic, I have never done the loop, so I can't speak DIRECTLY to the OVERALL amount you should take. However, from someone that has been robbed while we slept in a big city marina, I would be careful about the amount you carry at one time. Your comfort level may vary from mine and you can always recharge your cash funds at ATMs or bank branches throughout the trip. If it were me, I would carry enough to buy fuel, food, and possibly enough for a motel stay and car rental for a week should you lose your wallet or have an emergency and are in a more remote area. Plus for lots of tipping of people along the way. Maybe $1000 or so?