What's That Red Button

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Budds Outlet

Following up with a picture of part of the helm on a boat we are looking to buy. The boat has twin Perkins engines. Having never had a diesel boat before I am wondering what the red button is for on the engine helm plate. I am thinking it is for glow plugs used to start the engine but I'm just guessing. We have not got to the sea trial stage yet.

I'm sure most of you can answer my question. Thanks in advance for the information.

Attachments

• DSC05995.jpg
    DSC05995.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 195
Don't know, but it more resembles a warning light than a button.

Ted

It is the starter button. The glow plug is controlled by the "ignition" switch to the left.

David

It is the starter button. The glow plug is controlled by the "ignition" switch to the left.

David
If the red button is the starter button what is the black button above and to the left of the "ignition" switch?

On my JD, the black button is for starting and the red button is for stopping the engine.

There appears to be little standardization. This is when labels help.

img_297681_0_77ea7782460a514c0920ab4a069ef1b7.jpg

It looks like it was added after the original install.

Maybe a fire suppression system activation? The only way to know for sure is to follow the wires. Or maybe press it and see what happens ;)

I think it just illuminates with the alarm buzzer.

Whatever it is, it is labelled "on". I would lean toward it indicating glow plug activation, as you usually don't see a red light when the engine is on and operating normally. That also makes a case for it being part of the alarm system.

I would be concerned about the oil pressure gauge as it is reading 20 when the engine is off.

Whatever it is, it is labelled "on". I would lean toward it indicating glow plug activation, as you usually don't see a red light when the engine is on and operating normally. That also makes a case for it being part of the alarm system.

I would be concerned about the oil pressure gauge as it is reading 20 when the engine is off.

Ignore the above. I now see that the "On" indicated the key position.

I am leaning towards the warning light explanation. Both engine plates on the upper helm are laid out the same way but their red lights are a slightly different style.

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll look at them closer when I am on the boat this coming week.

Doesn't the seller know?

Do not ever press that red button!!!

I had a Perkins and it is not a button. It is a red warning light and buzzer if you have an engine fault, temp and oil pressure.

I have Perkins 6 354.4. On my panel there are 3 identical push buttons.Start Stop and third one is for the 'Flamethrower',a cold start device thats in the intake manifold.No glow plugs.If yours is a light and not a push button then I have no idea.

We have not closed yet. I wish this button/light was the only question I have. We love the layout and the engines/machinery are what we want. The question is how much of it works correctly. Survey next week.

"""""""I would be concerned about the oil pressure gauge as it is reading 20 when the engine is off."""""""

Not neccesarily. Many electric guages will drift to something other than zero when there is no power.

"""""""I would be concerned about the oil pressure gauge as it is reading 20 when the engine is off."""""""

Not neccesarily. Many electric guages will drift to something other than zero when there is no power.

You're probably right; my comment was meant to suggest it be looked at to be sure it was working.

"I think it just illuminates with the alarm buzzer."

That's what mine do on my twin Perkins 6.354 naturals. Turn the ignition key & a couple seconds later the buzzer goes off & light comes on telling you she's ready to start.

My boat has Cummins engines and there is a red light for each engine, along with a buzzer, triggered when oil pressure is too low. When starting, the light and buzzer are on until the engine starts and oil pressure is achieved , usually a few seconds after starting. My engines also have yellow lights to show when the preheaters are on, and they go out when they are warm enough.

The Start and Stop buttons are labelled just above the key. I would say it is a visual alarm that probably lights when an engine warning horn sounds.

Dick

The mystery is solved. The Red Button is a red warning light. Thanks for all the input!

Now the next thing I need to solve is Conrad's question about the oil pressure gauge. It seems that when you press the Horn button the oil pressure gauge goes up. ??? This is without the engine running.

The horn is an air horn.

Last edited:
I had a Perkins and it is not a button. It is a red warning light and buzzer if you have an engine fault, temp and oil pressure.
X2 I just had to replace it. When you turn the key on before starting the engine, the red light and buzzer come on due to low oil pressure.
http://tinyurl.com/kq6agvp

Last edited:
The mystery is solved. The Red Button is a red warning light. Thanks for all the input!

Now the next thing I need to solve is Conrad's question about the oil pressure gauge. It seems that when you press the Horn button the oil pressure gauge goes up. ??? This is without the engine running.

The horn is an air horn.
Odds are the horn is powered off the engine harness instead of its own fuse or breaker. Typical installer shortcuts. The current draw is dropping the voltage at the gauge panel affecting the electric oil pressure gauge. I would expect the voltmeter is dropping too when you toot the horn.

Back
Top Bottom