Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In Sausalito Yesterday: (The Anti-Trawler)

920x920.jpg

The News Story behind it:

Boat of the future: Mysterious yacht appears in S.F. Bay - SFGate

Not at all pretty. But, wickedly cool looking!

At least it's not covered w bow rails and anchor pulpits. No FB either. Hmmmmm ... I'm gett'in to like this Wally thing.

Looking at the "scoop" on its side, is it jet propelled? (The link doesn't work for me.)

When I read the link yah... Gas Turbines. I hope that hull is strong material. Especially the leading edges. Wonder if it jet pumps or props and Spurs. Not a boat to just chill on.

No, CP, six knots is more my style.

img_297549_0_ecf6def6c902dc00febb457a9823e25a.jpg

That is a wild looking boat but it just doesn't look like it would be much fun to cruise in.

At least it's not covered w bow rails and anchor pulpits. No FB either. Hmmmmm ... I'm gett'in to like this Wally thing.

FB would be fun at 60 knots! At least you could see the floating telephone pole seconds before it punches through into the bilge. Article mentions cramped (crouch down) ER. That alone is no good for me. Wonder what propulsion gear... straight drive props, Howard Arneson drives, pods, water jets???

At 60 knots you'll much of the scenery with no FB. .29 mpg - Visa or MasterCard?

PS: I'm betting on the side of .15 to .10 mpg at WOT... Go Horsy... GO!!!!! :speed boat:

Last edited:
Here's a study in contrast. I'd take the one in the foreground, hands down.

Attachments

• 920x920.jpg
    920x920.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 170
Not me.
I would take the one in the background, sell it, and then buy the one in the foreground with a private island, mansion, boat house etc. :D

Add in: Pay taxes on any gain on the sale. :eek:

The boat is registered in the Caymans. The owner pays no taxes, but the owner of the boat in the foreground undoubtably does.:whistling:

When I read the link yah... Gas Turbines. I hope that hull is strong material. Especially the leading edges. Wonder if it jet pumps or props and Spurs. Not a boat to just chill on.

Three RR water jets and five engines in CODOG (Combined Diesel or Gas Turbine) configuration, three turbines are 5,600 HP each, twin diesels are 370HP Cummins.

118 WallyPower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pic2.jpg

118 Wally power is US$ 33 million for the triple gas turbine version, Fuel capacity 5800 US gallons.

At the maximum speed of 60 knots (110 km/h) the gas turbine uses 15 US gallons per nautical mile, 900 gallons - per hour! X $4.00 per gal = $3,600 per hr. :hide:

Visa or MC? LOL

FB would be fun at 60 knots! At least you could see the floating telephone pole seconds before it punches through into the bilge. ...
... or wayward tree.

img_297705_0_f83f8bf1d0e919e451f6a35d4e8c7624.jpg

118 Wally power is US$ 33 million for the triple gas turbine version, Fuel capacity 5800 US gallons.

At the maximum speed of 60 knots (110 km/h) the gas turbine uses 15 US gallons per nautical mile, 900 gallons - per hour! X $4.00 per gal = $3,600 per hr. :hide:

Visa or MC? LOL

And it still is not a large factor in the overall costs.

Last edited:
I think the side "vents" are actually for firing torpedoes while submerged.

Eggs-act-a-ly, all things are relative. If you can afford to build a 33 million dollar go-fast I'm pretty sure you do not give two rips about fueling it. I'm sure engine room access doesn't bother the owner either, that's the crews problem. Purely a testosterone infused purchase and there's nothing wrong with that IMO. Torpedo launchers would be icing on the cake.

That paint job makes it harder to notice ripping across the water as the crazed captain runs down little trawlers that cross his path!
;)

For a 100+ footer it has the living space of a 60 footer. The owner is an eccentric character for sure. He's too rich to be crazy.

Of course not, to owner of $33M mega speed-boat toy... that is!

However, $3,600 per hr... in just fuel expense... is a chunk of cash... to me! :popcorn:

Last edited:
Bluto wrote;
"For a 100+ footer it has the living space of a 60 foote"

"I think most pleasure boats could benefit from less "living space" and more boat space. Most designs are over stuffed w cabin space and the soft life stuff that is more at home in houses and mobile homes. The reason for this is that the boat buyers are more interested in stuff and living space than boat.

The only real problem I see here is that most fuel docks don't have JP5.

The only real problem I see here is that most fuel docks don't have JP5.

Industrial and marine gas turbines are often multi-fuel or can be modified to use a wide variety of liquid or gaseous fuels. Currently Jet A is around $5 - $8 per gallon.

I suspect if it really does use Jet A, it would have to be delivered to the dock by fuel truck. Imagine the logistics of that on a trip. It can't be cheap either.

Obviously, money is no object!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom