FLIR one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Battery under use has a 4 hour capacity. As stated these would not be good for seeing one's way along the water. However, they have some incredible uses such as finding leaks and locating pipes behind walls. I would see it as an incredible tool on a boat. In fact, there is no way I can resist purchasing one. Only problem is it doesn't look like they have any available yet but for iPhone.

Battery under use has a 4 hour capacity. I would see it as an incredible tool on a boat. In fact, there is no way I can resist purchasing one. Only problem is it doesn't look like they have any available yet but for iPhone.

In reading the posted link, I think the battery will last about an hour. They are now available for android devices if I read the link correctly.

In what way would you find it useful on the boat?

In reading the posted link, I think the battery will last about an hour. They are now available for android devices if I read the link correctly.

In what way would you find it useful on the boat?

Checking for leaks of all sorts from plumbing to air leaks. In some boats where you don't have good knowledge of all the wiring and plumbing, using it to find the wiring or pipes. Some of those mystery situations. For instance, water getting into bow cabin when it rains but I can't see where it's coming from. See moisture build up. Find plumbing blockages.

Check for shorts. Check for insects and rodents.

I could potentially see it becoming a mechanic's favorite tool, especially for those hard to pin point issues. I'm sure there's a learning curve and probably a lot of things still to be improved.

As to Android, saw it on the front page but not on the "Buy It" page.

While not good for night vision per se, they are perfect for nighttime identification of sneaky raccoons while tied to the park dock.

I tested my seek thermal on Mt Hood at Christmas at my parents place. It was just the thing to ensure no bears were sneaking up on me on late night dog walks.

Useful these things. Useful.

The range is far greater than 25 ft. I posted pictures i the other thread to illustrate.

The range is far greater than 25 ft. I posted pictures i the other thread to illustrate.

I don't believe your photos were from a Flir One were they?

Regardless the point wasn't the precise distance but that the Flir One is not usable as a navigation night vision unit but was designed for other uses.

Awesome ad. Exactly what is your percentage? Commission?

Shouldn't you buy time to promote this?

Perhaps you should say who you're addressing so whichever one of us it is will know to be offended.

That isn't a fair statement. I have posted info about new products a few times and have no financial interest whatsoever. I think the posts are just making us aware of what is out there and I am glad I saw it.

Now if you want to buy diesel from Exxon Mobile, I will confess to a financial interest albeit very small in the overall scheme of things.

Not to offend. Maybe in the classified section.

The post is 'neat'. My comment was more aimed at the purpose of the post. Not the usefulness of the item. Just making a statement to the obvious. After looking at the link and seeing the quality, it is not useful. Maybe in a room, at a bar, at a party. Maybe looking for a hiding cat in a garage. But not as a boat safety device.

I don't believe your photos were from a Flir One were they?

Regardless the point wasn't the precise distance but that the Flir One is not usable as a navigation night vision unit but was designed for other uses.

BandB, yes my mistake. But if its anything like the seek unit, it will have a farther range. My unit will work as a night vision unit around the yard, but not well, and certainly not for navigating a boat.

The post is 'neat'. My comment was more aimed at the purpose of the post. Not the usefulness of the item. Just making a statement to the obvious. After looking at the link and seeing the quality, it is not useful. Maybe in a room, at a bar, at a party. Maybe looking for a hiding cat in a garage. But not as a boat safety device.

Ok, first we're talking different items. The topic of this thread is a Flir One. You're right, it's not useful as a boat safety device. It is not intended to be one. It's uses are outlined on their web site. There are many uses. Piloting a boat is not listed. Entirely different type item.

As to other Flir products, some of them are great for night time vision but they aren't the topic of this thread.

The post is 'neat'. My comment was more aimed at the purpose of the post.

I don't understand. Does timjet sell FLIR for a living and his purpose was to sell them here? :confused::confused:

There is a more than a wee bit of ambiguity on what "boat safety" means in the context of how it is being used in this thread. In the implied meaning, I believe the false conclusion was that it means night time navigation. Okay, yup, not useful for that. Though I might say that in an anchorage, at very close range of a couple hundred feet, I think you could easily pick out floating logs, moorage buoys and other items, so maybe not entirely a loss there either.

For other "boat safety" items, it is extremely useful. Statistically the most dangerous item on your boat capable of causing fires is your electrical. This is the kind of device that has tremendous potential for spotting safety related issues in this regard and in my experience they are both common in existence and even more common in being overlooked or ignored as electricity in most boaters minds is more of an invisible unfathomable concept.

In fact, the more I start using these sub $200 infra red devices, the more I realize I wished I had spent a couple thousand on an equivalent device even just a few years ago.

Hardly just a novelty toy and I'm at a loss that anyone can't immediately realize it. It did not cross my mind when I made light of sneaking up on the errant raccoon that the value these things was not immediately apparent.

There is a more than a wee bit of ambiguity on what "boat safety" means in the context of how it is being used in this thread. In the implied meaning, I believe the false conclusion was that it means night time navigation. Okay, yup, not useful for that. Though I might say that in an anchorage, at very close range of a couple hundred feet, I think you could easily pick out floating logs, moorage buoys and other items, so maybe not entirely a loss there either.

For other "boat safety" items, it is extremely useful. Statistically the most dangerous item on your boat capable of causing fires is your electrical. This is the kind of device that has tremendous potential for spotting safety related issues in this regard and in my experience they are both common in existence and even more common in being overlooked or ignored as electricity in most boaters minds is more of an invisible unfathomable concept.

In fact, the more I start using these sub $200 infra red devices, the more I realize I wished I had spent a couple thousand on an equivalent device even just a few years ago.

Hardly just a novelty toy and I'm at a loss that anyone can't immediately realize it. It did not cross my mind when I made light of sneaking up on the errant raccoon that the value these things was not immediately apparent.

I agree completely. I think we're just starting to see all the benefits they have. And it's not just for your boat, but your home as well. When we bought our home and were planning on some remodeling before moving in, the contractor basically scanned all walls and equipment. Now not with a $200 system but still. That was my first exposure to thermal imaging of any kind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom