Ulysses Departing Gulf Shores

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ulysses

Guru
Vessel Name
Ulysses
Vessel Make
Romsdal 1963
Ulysses will be departing Gulf Shores, Ala. for Key West then on to the Dominican Republic on Jan. 12, 2015. Will be single handling her and will take many pictures.

Should we assume Luperon in the DR? Beautiful place.

That will probably be the first stop in the D.R., yes beautiful place. I am planning on meeting up with the humpback whales in Samana Bay by mid February.

Ulysses will be departing Gulf Shores, Ala. for Key West then on to the Dominican Republic on Jan. 12, 2015. Will be single handling her and will take many pictures.
Bon Voyage, Ulysses. Please post pics.

Looking forward to your pics

Don't forget to file a float plan with us. Will you be using Spot or some other tracking device? How long do you think from Key West to landfall?

How about getting a De Lorme In Reach? That way we can all track you and you can even send text messages with it. I think Richard on Dauntless was glad he could communicate with us and we could track him during his Atlantic crossing.

Sounds like a grand adventure.

I anticipate a quick stop over in Charlotte Harbor to visit friends then arrive in Key West on the 17th top off water and fuel. Approximately 750 miles from there to D.R. Five days if all goes well. Planning on a more or less direct route through the Old Bahama Channel rather than heading East into the Bahamas then south.
Hope to find some reasonably priced semi-skilled labor for sanding and varnish on inside cabins which I recently rebuilt.
The whale watching I am looking forward to. I never realized that all humpback whales are Dominican by birth
AIS and "Vesselfinder" may keep me trackable for most of the trip.
Yes, I realize that the plans and "anticipate" go out the window pretty quickly sometimes. She is a good hull and every system is working and has been recently maintained, spare parts on board. Rum and Presidente' beer at destination only.
Thanks for the well wishes especially from my big sister (Delfin).

We just spent a month at Stock Island marina just east of the Key West airport. They had the best fuel prices and very nice new facilities. I would recommend them.

Enjoy Pooperon btw.

Looking fwd to pictures!

So why not force the rail company to build bridges that are high enough so a draw/swing bridge is not needed?

I'm jealous. We were there 2 years ago and have plans to go back next year. The DR is our favorite of the Eastern Caribbean. Definitely the friendliest people. We were there in April so we missed the whales. Samana is a good anchorage. All the officials but immigrations came out to the boat. No one asked for mordita but we did tip everyone $5-10 US.

Here's a what we posted.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s36/spanish-virgins-dominican-republic-9979.html

Have a great trip!!

First leg complete. Stock Island arrived 1/15 will depart for DR and now maybe Cuba tomorrow.

Looking forward to keeping up with your voyage.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Stopped for a couple of days in Puerto Vita, Cuba. First to actually have their US passport stamped at that port. Friendly people but absolutely no communication resources. Two days from there and we have arrived at Ocean World Marina in Dominican Republic. About to catch up on some sleep. Thanks for the well wishes.

Kudos!!

Absolutely crap weather here in SE USA.

Enjoy!

Congrats Ulysses. We've been hanging in Key West at the mooring field enjoying the superb weather. Sorry we missed you on the way through. Bon Voyage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom