New bronze hawse pipes from Hopcar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
Just got these 8 bronze beauties in today from Hopcar . Parks you da man . Thanks for your help . They are a perfect match to my old funky aluminum cast hawse pipes . You know I'm a sucka for some bronze .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 100
Are you sure those are "hawsepipes"?

Don't see any pipe. I thought hawsepipes were a pipe from the fwd deck to the side of the hull below. For the purpose of handling an anchor rode and storing an anchor.

I suspect what you have there are Hawsholes .. not pipes.

Attachments

• DSCF1637 copy 3.jpg
    DSCF1637 copy 3.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Are you sure those are "hawsepipes"?

Don't see any pipe. I thought hawsepipes were a pipe from the fwd deck to the side of the hull below. For the purpose of handling an anchor rode and storing an anchor.

I suspect what you have there are Hawsholes .. not pipes.
Ok hawse holes . These are for my dock lines not the anchor chain .

Will need photos after their installation!

Pack Mule,
Are you going to polish them or coat them? The lines moving around the corners will take off most anything .. but that should be only one spot and of course they won't rust. Polish and clear coat could suddenly make your boat really salty and classy. Of course she already is ............

Probably polish or leave them like they are .

How about fairlead?

>These are for my dock lines not the anchor chain .<

Low load they should be fine , high load they will need a far more generous radius , or you will need chafe gear for the sharp exit hole.

I made a pattern out of wood and had them cast in silicone bronze for $6/lb.
I have a local foundry that will cast anything in several metals at a per lb. price.
(sorry no pics)

Will need photos after their installation!
Probably going to be a couple months before temps get right and I can catch a warm weekend . Here is a dry fit pic that we took yesterday .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 66
I have a local foundry that will cast anything in several metals at a per lb. price.
(sorry no pics)
That's a good idea . It's nice to have a foundry close by . Do you just make the piece exactly like you want and then they make a sand pattern box and pour whatever metal you want ? I have some old pattern making shrink rules from when I used to do some machine shop work but have never done any pattern making . I have an old pattern makers vice that's huge . It's an Emmert . A wood vice on one side and a metal working vice on the other .

Probably going to be a couple months before temps get right and I can catch a warm weekend . Here is a dry fit pic that we took yesterday .

Stunning!!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Greetings,
Mr. PM. Since you are aware of "shrink rules" I would expect IF you want the piece a specific size you would have to take shrinkage into account. For those unfamiliar with the term "shrink rules"... Shrink Rules

Greetings,
Mr. PM. Since you are aware of "shrink rules" I would expect IF you want the piece a specific size you would have to take shrinkage into account. For those unfamiliar with the term "shrink rules"... Shrink Rules
Since I stared this thread and caused it to creep I'll tell a short story of shrink rules .I was a machinist for about twenty years . I was not a fancy tool and die maker and for sure not a pattern maker just a plain old machinist . Those pattern making guys think upside down and backwards when making a pattern ,kinda like cutting crown mold if any of you have done that .Early on I worked with some old guys that came from pattern making . One day I had to lay out a steel plate for cutting and drilling . Since I was new to layout work one of the old guys lent me his" new ruler " . I didn't know it was a shrink rule and had never heard of them . They got a kick out of watching me lay this metal plate out . Then they offered to check out my layout to keep me from screwing up,of course they used a regular scale . They gave me hard time about my layout and I thought I would never make it as a machinist . They finally told me the joke and everyone got a good laugh . Those old guys were a lot of fun and darn good machinist/pattern makers . Pattern makers are like wood workers using metal working tools . There is a grade of mahogany that is specified as pattern making mahogany .

Greetings,

RT's got it right, there is a shrinkage factor that has to be taken into account and you have to consider more loss for dressing but it's a pretty short learning curve and you can cast stuff for a hundred bucks that would cost you a grand in the "marine" store. Google "foundry" in your area, there are a lot of these guys around.

Great story PM.
I worked in a big job shop and learned much there even though I was the truck driver. When there was no driving to do I did interesting things. We had a job putting flanges on the ends of steel pipe about 30" dia and 30' long. On the night shift they trained me for that. We had a big lathe and faced the flanges. Then I attached wheels to the pipe and a bolt on trailer hitch on one end and delivered them down the road a bit.

My first machine shop was also working with pipe flanges . We were making pipe line gate valves for off shore rigs but nothing that large .
My last machinist job was making implants , hips and knees . We used the lost wax process for our stainless steel castings .

Since I stared this thread and caused it to creep I'll tell a short story of shrink rules .I was a machinist for about twenty years . I was not a fancy tool and die maker and for sure not a pattern maker just a plain old machinist . Those pattern making guys think upside down and backwards when making a pattern ,kinda like cutting crown mold if any of you have done that .Early on I worked with some old guys that came from pattern making . One day I had to lay out a steel plate for cutting and drilling . Since I was new to layout work one of the old guys lent me his" new ruler " . I didn't know it was a shrink rule and had never heard of them . They got a kick out of watching me lay this metal plate out . Then they offered to check out my layout to keep me from screwing up,of course they used a regular scale . They gave me hard time about my layout and I thought I would never make it as a machinist . They finally told me the joke and everyone got a good laugh . Those old guys were a lot of fun and darn good machinist/pattern makers . Pattern makers are like wood workers using metal working tools . There is a grade of mahogany that is specified as pattern making mahogany .

Chattanooga has a couple of foundries, but had many more in the past. In my wholesale lumber days I sold much mahogany lumber (mostly Honduras mahogony) to the pattern shops. Mahogany is good pattern wood because it is some of the most dimensionally stable wood. It would be difficult to figure out what the patterns were from just looking. Some consisted of several pieces. There is still a lot of contaminated foundry sand around the old factory sites.

Don who did you used to work for in hardwood lumber ? That's what I do now . We sell hardwood and mfg semi load of hardwood flooring everyday .

Don who did you used to work for in hardwood lumber ? That's what I do now . We sell hardwood and mfg semi load of hardwood flooring everyday .

PM, that was back in the '60s. I started out while in college with Dixie Plywood in Florida. We sold hardwood lumber rough random widths and lengths to the millwork and cabinet shop trades. Later in the '60s I was in Chattanooga at Georgia-Pacific. That's where we were selling to the foundry and pattern makers.

By the way, Honduras mahogany is probably my favorite wood. I love the deep rich color and fine grain. It is great furniture wood, and most of the furniture in my home is solid Honduras mahogany. It is getting a little rare, so cherry is taking over much of the furniture trade. Good, but not the best.

We can only get African mahogany these days and we keep plenty in stock . That's the reason the interior of William is all African . Here is a pic of a portion if our yard full of oak for flooring .we keep about 2 million ft on the yard .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 86
PM, after graduating college I was promoted to sales manager for hardwood products for our parent company, Bradley Plywood Corp., Savannah GA. We were importers, veneer cutters, and manufacturers of fine architectural plywood and doors. That included hospitals, hotel and bank lobbies, and special cut and matched veneers. You name it. We could do it.

I loved to be in our plant watching the special cuts coming off the slicer. I really developed a love for fine hardwoods.

CONTACT INFO???

Back
Top Bottom