1979 Marine Trader 49'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vkozar

I am looking to start a project. Anybody have expirience or knolage about 1979 Marine Trader 49'?

Hiya,
** I've been on board a couple of MT 49's.* Unlike the MT 50, they're a raised PH model as I remember.* vk, if you've searched this site you will have found out about the most common shortcomings shared by many of these Tiawanese boats.* The condition of what you buy will determine how much $$ and time you will spend on restoration or repair.
** I was on a vessel about 5 years ago that the owner admitted investing over $300K in and he was asking in the neighborhood of $349K.* At that time, for the $349K you could buy much more boat for the same $$.* The poor fellow had way overinvested both time and money and although I lost track of the sale, I doubt he got much more than $250 for it.
** So if you're looking to start a project and it could be a REALLY BIG project get a good survey and have fun.* I think they're a nice boat.

Traveling on the ICW we've met a couple with a 1979 *MT 49 pilothouse. *

They spent a great deal of time totally re-doing the boat several years ago, and are full-time live-aboards.*They're in MTOA and have done the loop as well.

I don't know if they're on this forum, so *before I pass out their *e-mail, I'll contact them as a courtesy.

You might want to look at a blog of one of our members...Charles Cullotta. *He has since sold his boat but He owned and cruise hi MT49 for quite a long time.

www.charlesculotta.com

Charles boat wasn't a MT49.

I looked at a Sea Ranger a few years ago. MT hull, put together by C&L. PH layout. So if you broaden your search to include this and any other mfg this board comes up with, there are lots of them out there.
This particular one had lots of problems, some of which the owner was addressing very poorly, thus inhibiting his chances of selling for anything like a reasonable price. The only thing it didn't need was engines. When I saw it, the listing price was around $100k. It was still on the market some months later, and eventually off. Don't know if he just got tired or took a lot less for it.

Check with Rollsdoc, a member of this forum, who owns a MT49.* I looked at several before buying my Cheoy Lee 46 LRC.* Like many late 70's boats from Taiwan, many/most have issues with rotten deck cores, the area around the base of the Portugese bridge, and the house.* Look for rotten bulkheads where the tabbing joins the hull.

There is also a website, maintained by a couple of liveaboards, with tales of their cruises aboard their MT49.* You'll find it at www.skinwalker.com.

Mark
'83 Cheoy Lee 46' LRC
Portland, Oregon

-- Edited by Island Sunset on Saturday 6th of November 2010 09:43:52 PM

Back
Top Bottom