Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry,
You can see her sliding through the water with no water in sight.

I'm at odds about the boot stripe running up at the bow. I really like the wheelhouse. The pointed fore cabin even looks great mostly because of her extremely high aspect ratio.

The longer and leaner boats get the better they look underway.

Last edited:
Art,

Sorry, but all I could find is the quote in the post above. I did find a photo of the bottom though.

I just can't seem to get enough of this boat for some reason.

This sleek boat can truly be termed a "Beautiful Toy"! Even her elegant trailer/lift/support system provides the appearance of a toy.

Stiletto would be a blast to charge around the bays in. Unfortunately, I believe in her dimensions (especially at 7' beam) using her as a jaunt, commuter, or discussion piece is about all the marine-world space she commands. Our in comparison clunky ol' live aboard-in-comfort pleasure crafts (trawlers if you desire) are boat designs such as we should adhere to.

In just a few minutes we're heading toward for our Tolly for a couple winter days. She does not get the mention of Stiletto... but... she does invite compliments and simply, affordably pleases the heck out of us while fulfilling our current boating needs!

Successful 2015 to All! - Art

Last edited:
I was expecting to see a harder chine and/or a flatter bottom. With that narrow beam and curvaceous bottom, I bet she rolls like a pig in any kind of beam sea. She sure is pretty, though. I love that color scheme. Something about a sleek flag blue hull that makes my pants fit funny.

At times I'm sure the rolling is bad but most of the time I'm guessing she's a lot better in that reguard than most would think. Think of a 4' wide al John boat 11' long. Now think of the same john boat extended to 30'.

And of course much smaller course changes from parallel to seas would be required to snuff out the roll. Would be bad though if they got really parallel to waves. Even quite small ones.

I'd take her in a minute if it wasn't for moorage rates.

Stiletto is a newer built, single engine version of Francis Herreshoff's Piquant design, done in 1950. The shape is somewhat based on his father's pre-1900 steam driven torpedo boats.

The original Stiletto

Stilletto1.jpg

LFH's launch Piquant, 47' by 6'6". She had twin tiny gas engines, I believe 16HP each, and could manage 20mph top speed. LFH claimed she was the most efficient possible.

Piquant.jpg

It's funny no one will admit that her beam is only 6'6", less than that of my 20 footer....

Stiletto.jpg

In his book, The Complete Cruiser, Francis outlined a larger cruising version of Piquant/Stiletto, 66' by 10' and called Lampooner. He thought she would do 25mph top speed with twin 100 HP diesels. One of the odd consequences of this shape is that Lampooner has 30' long prop shafts with about 15' of it outside the hull, = multiple struts.

Lampooner2.jpg

The Real McCoy

img_295959_0_6009186ac039f24de4d6778bb12770bf.png

TAD wrote;
"LFH's launch Piquant, 47' by 6'6". She had twin tiny gas engines, I believe 16HP each, and could manage 20mph top speed. LFH claimed she was the most efficient possible."

Very efficient indeed. Was she light, normal or ultra light? Her wake is very minimal but do you suppose her drag is mostly hull friction? How does a boat of this aspect ratio do in rough water?

Saw this beauty, “Freedom”, pulling out of Vero Beach.

A 1926 104ft Trumpy design.

She has quite an interesting history also.
Her restoration is completely photo documented.

You can buy a 5% ownership share for about $500,000, plus usage fees of about $4000 a day, plus operating expenses. You are required to use her at least eight days a year.

This week it was a dermatologist from somewhere.

Still, it’s a pleasure to see such elegant lady on the water. KJ

1429-albums131-picture1814.jpg

1429-albums131-picture1815.jpg

1429-albums131-picture1817.jpg

TAD wrote;
"LFH's launch Piquant, 47' by 6'6". She had twin tiny gas engines, I believe 16HP each, and could manage 20mph top speed. LFH claimed she was the most efficient possible."

Very efficient indeed. Was she light, normal or ultra light? Her wake is very minimal but do you suppose her drag is mostly hull friction? How does a boat of this aspect ratio do in rough water?

Well I searched out the real facts and I was grossly mistaken. "Piquant was 47' long on the waterline with 6'6" beam, 2' draft and 6700 pounds displacement. Two 35 HP engines driving through 2:1 reduction spun her 20" x 24" props at 950 rpm with the engine turning over 1900 rpm. Cruising speed was 16 knots; top speed was over 20 knots. At 16 knots she burned three gallons of gas per hour. L. Francis Herreshoff said of her: "No model since 1880 has proved capable of carrying more accommodations at higher speed with less horsepower, or has begun to have the seaworthiness of this elongated lifeboat model, all flying float stages and test tanks to the contrary." "

Piquant was extremely light, with a displacement /length ratio of about 36. Irens Range Boats are about the lightest possible cruiser and they have a D/L of about 86. Piquant, (despite LFH's claim) has no real accommodation as we know it, no standing headroom except out in the open cockpit and two cubby holes with pipe berths forward and aft, that's it.

I would expect her to be fast and wet in any coastwise cruising seaway, her fine lines will drive through a sea rather than jerk up over the top. I think Bob Beebe wrote that this type in a big sea rode "like a hooked swordfish", ie sometimes violent motion but perfectly safe.

Herreshoff designed some of the prettiest sailboats. The H28, originally in timber, was built in NZ in f/g as the Walker H28, in sloop and ketch form, with long cruising keel and transom/keel hung rudder. He could have designed the Folkboat, but that fell to Tord Sunden in 1942, in Sweden. Methinks after a sideways glance at a Herreshoff design.

The Annandale, built in Norway the same year as Delfin - 1967.

Attachments

• IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 229
Delfin,
That looks like the boat that comes to Craig every year.

TAD,
Yes I suspected the light displacement but the 16hp largely led me there. I can see why she was claimed to be the most efficient possible. What a boat, of course not for everybody, perhaps not even anybody but to watch her slide along was probably better than good music.

Last edited:
Annandale. Owned by Trident Seafoods. Heads to Alaska, yearly to fish and entertain.

Then it is the boat I saw in Craig?
I remember her as having a dark blue hull .. not black.

Set to Rest:

Tucked away in SF Delta. I'd say End O' Da Road! Once quite proud I'm sure. Hidden on other side of these is a Big old woody, rot well displayed; saw it by boat mid last summer. Siamese cat in window of cruiser with gang plank to old dock landing. Hired caretaker... or... squatter??

Attachments

• Delta - H&H Marina Old Govt Cruise photo.JPG
    Delta - H&H Marina Old Govt Cruise photo.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 171
  • Delta - H&H Marina Old Tug Boat photo.JPG
    Delta - H&H Marina Old Tug Boat photo.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
The upper one is the Aurora, launched as Wappen Von Hamburg in 1955 in Germany.
She was also called Polar Star, Xanadu, and most recently in California Faithful.
She's 293' x 40'
https://aurorayacht.wordpress.com/

Well the Buoy Tender is available.....

1939 Adventure Yacht EX-LIGHTHOUSE TENDER Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Thanks Tad - Both boat's exterior apparatus looks well past prime... to say the least. Think either will be resurrected? I have my doubts. Cheers! - Art

The upper one is the Aurora, launched as Wappen Von Hamburg in 1955 in Germany.
She was also called Polar Star, Xanadu, and most recently in California Faithful.
She's 293' x 40'
https://aurorayacht.wordpress.com/

Well the Buoy Tender is available.....

1939 Adventure Yacht EX-LIGHTHOUSE TENDER Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Tad - I took time to carefully read through both links. Hope money comes available to save these beauties. :thumb: Thanks, again, for posting them. - Art :D

Tad - I took time to carefully read through both links. Hope money comes available to save these beauties. :thumb: Thanks, again, for posting them. - Art :D

The Aurora blog appears to have gone quiet in 2012, so don't get your hopes up.

If one is seriously hankering after a big boat, this one may well be a better bet.

1936 12 - Pack Charter Vessel Adventure/Research Vessel Power Boat For Sale

The Robert Gray is seen in the Aurora blog towing her, and may currently be tied outside the Buoy Tender. This seems to substantiate the rule that all big boats are forever for sale.....The wooden vessel tied outside Aurora looks like a Canadian Minesweeper?

Tough looking trawler, although not optimised for creature comforts.

If your comment was referring to the 88' North Sea trawler in the photo that I just posted I'll tell you that, from the photos I saw when she was listed for sale on YW, she was certainly outfitted to be a comfortable boat. FYI - The trawler had been retrofitted for use as a charter vessel and was equipped with all the creature comforts.

If on the outside chance your comment was directed towards the photo of the Diesel Duck you posted within your comment, well, all I can say is that I couldn't disagree with you more.

If your comment was referring to the 88' North Sea trawler in the photo that I just posted I'll tell you that, from the photos I saw when she was listed for sale on YW, she was certainly outfitted to be a comfortable boat. FYI - The trawler had been retrofitted for use as a charter vessel and was equipped with all the creature comforts.

If on the outside chance your comment was directed towards the photo of the Diesel Duck you posted within your comment, well, all I can say is that I couldn't disagree with you more.

The comment was on the NST, looking at the size and number of windows the interior looks very dark.

Relax, not picking on your boat, just posting a photo of it.

Smaller windows are better for open-sea voyages.

Back
Top Bottom