Old 01-06-2015, 06:09 AM   #22
MikeM

City: Virginia Beach
Vessel Name: Tuscan Sun
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsmb View Post
Mike,

Oxalic acid is a good all around cleaner. It is a VERY mild acid. You can get it at hardware stores anywhere just look for "Wood Bleach" It comes in small plastic cup sized containers. It is a dry chemical that you mix with water. I have used it for years to remove the stains in hull gel coat from the water of the ICW. One container has lasted me several years.

Not knowing the source of your stains, there is no telling whether it will do any good, but it will come in handy in the future for cleaning the ICW mustache. I don't believe it can hurt anything. Try it on a small area and let me know.

Generally, no scrubbing is required. Just wipe it on and give it a few minutes to react with the stain. I then rinse with fresh water to neutralize.

Good Luck,

Tom

Thanks Tom. I have tried Bar Keepers Friend. It didn't remove the stains, but perhaps your method would result in a higher concentration. What puzzles me is that nothing I've tried has made a dent in the stain. It may be something I have to live with...although I am going to try some of the other remedies mentioned above.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote