Recommend Fuel Efficient Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sue please take my advise don't get hung up on the fuel thing. Unless the boat you pick is very big and a pig on fuel its not an issue. Concentrate more on the boat itself. Things like livability and how it will ride. For the loop and inland waters how it deals with wake. How comfortable does it sit at anchor etc. etc........

Uh, 2 1/2 year old post. She should have completed the loop by now. Wonder how it went.

Sorry saw the dates on the last couple of posts. Still good advise to those contemplating a new for them boat.

There is no way you are going to go to the headwaters of the Mississippi and do the "Loop" backwards. About as far north as you can go is St. Anthony Falls in Minneapolis and then it is all down river from there. Just a little geography note.
I forgot to mention that the "headwaters" of the Mississippi is actually at Itaska State Park at least a couple of hours north of the Twin Cities.

Last edited:
120 HP. cruse a 7 MPH (AICW) 1.4 gph at 1550 RPM.= 5 mpg

So there! :flowers:

There is no way you are going to go to the headwaters of the Mississippi and do the "Loop" backwards. About as far north as you can go is St. Anthony Falls in Minneapolis and then it is all down river from there. Just a little geography note.
I forgot to mention that the "headwaters" of the Mississippi is actually at Itaska State Park at least a couple of hours north of the Twin Cities.

Going up the Mississippi is quite fun . I especially like the Iowa stops. Just follow the barges and you won't get lost.

120 HP. cruse a 7 MPH (AICW) 1.4 gph at 1550 RPM.= 5 mpg

So there! :flowers:

Looks like you've got 60hp too much. With a hull as slick as yours 50hp total and 30 for cruise should cover your bases.
But like they used to say in old time drag racing "run what ya brung".

I'm shopping for a trawler to do the Great Loop. I know I want a single screw diesel in the 32 to 36' range. Fuel economy is very important to me. I know there are a boat-load of variables involved, but can anyone recommend a boat make & model and engine combination is is likely to cruise at trawler speed for less than 2 miles per gallon of diesel fuel?

I assume that you mean better than 2 NMpg. Most boats below 50' or so will qualify if you keep them to six knots.\

The big question is why not use the boat you now own?

Hey Sue
You may want to seriously consider the 32' Nordic Tug.

Hey Sue
You may want to seriously consider the 32' Nordic Tug.

img_296136_0_bf6b26eae92483ac58cb83af0bf665f7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom