Autohelm pump leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fryedaze

Guru
Vessel Name
Fryedaze
Vessel Make
MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
I have a very small leak on my Type 2 hydraulic autohelm pump. It requires a system add about every 300 hours of operation. Has anyone rebuilt one of these pumps? I cant find any information on repair parts. A new pump is about $900. Re build should be easy if I could find parts. The leak is somewhere on the underside, not the connections. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• SDC13031.jpg
    SDC13031.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 84
  • SDC13032.jpg
    SDC13032.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 81
Find your local hydraulic repair shop. But, if it is leaking around the bottom most likely that is a shaft seal and running down. Shaft seals are easy but often the shaft will have a groove in it from the seal in which case it needs a shaft. On a small pumps like that the cost of a new shaft, new seal and other new parts will probably exceed the price of a new pump.

Repair

Well I did a lot of searching and came up empty on parts, drawings or any info on the pump. I ordered a new one and then tore down the old one for repair so I will have a spare. Turns out repairing any leaks would be pretty easy. The shaft oil seal is a $3.95 part. Here are some pictures if interested.
Fryedaze - Type 2 Autohelm shaft seal replacement

Back
Top Bottom