View Single Post
Old 01-02-2015, 05:31 PM   #6
eyschulman
Guru

Just a short note. The three anchor mooring in a field often uses short chain between anchors often to allow for more moorings. When I contemplate this system for storm anchor use I am thinking at least 60 ft chain on each anchor. Also as with any thing there is the technique of set up. I use double line and float on each anchor to set up that way I know where my anchors are and I set each one separately before laying out the next anchor. I set the first anchor from the boat the next two from the dinghy having my mate load the anchor by backing for the set. I use the doubled trip line to hall the anchors and chain where I want them or to reset if necessary. Yes it is a bit of a PITA but I am talking risky storm where other shelter not available. Years ago when I would set this system up in the creek off my dock in the Chesapeake it would take between one and 1.5 hours to do and an equal time to undue. I always left at least one float and trip line on the help raise one so it could be brought up . This system probably would only work in 30 foot of water or less otherwise the chains would get too long and too heavy. But for a blow I prefer shallow water where my scope is better and hopefully more protected.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote