View Single Post
Old 01-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #156
Robster_in_edmonds

City: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Miss Maui
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Manyboats, not sure I understand your post. Boats are designed by builders (or their designers) for potential buyers. The typical buyer of a used Bayliner motor yacht is usually pretty savvy and value-conscious. The typical first-time buyer of a new Bayliner motor yacht was inexperienced and value-conscious.

Inexperienced captains make rookie mistakes, like blowing through a no wake zone or passing on the wrong side. I've made nearly every dumb mistake a captain could make in the last five years boating in the PNW. But each time I have learned, and I have not repeated those mistakes. I believe Bayliner owners get bashed because so many of us were inexperienced and made our mistakes while at the helm of a Bayliner.

As I join other boaters on their boats, and host parties on my 4788, I compare my boat to others. There is a lot to like on a Bay, as others have noted. Well designed interiors, lots of storage, and brand name systems. Cummins, Hurth, Norcold, Nutone, Raytheon. A good friend has a 48' Navigator. We take turns hosting cocktail parties for 25-30 people. Because the cockpit on his boat is double the size of mine, my salon is about double the size of his. In the PNW this means more useable space more often. In California he would be able to open his rear salon doors and use the open cockpit as part of his party space.

My pilothouse is larger and (IMHO) better laid out than his. My flybridge dwarfs his, and with the dinghy in the water we have had thirty people on the flybridge without an issue. The woodwork on his boat has a higher quality of fit and finish. We both love our boats, and my Admiral has told me she would never trade boats with him even though his acquisition cost was over a hundred thousand dollars more than ours.

I covered more ground than I expected! Happy New Year everyone! Enjoy the water!
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote