Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@Marin, great background, thanks.
Here is the new "Daedalus" built by Delta, more of an Explorer yacht.

Is that the Boeing corp. boat? This vessel spends a part of each summer here in Campbell River and area. On a trip to mexico a few years ago, I found her berthed in Barra Mexico.

Is that the Boeing corp. boat? This vessel spends a part of each summer here in Campbell River and area. On a trip to mexico a few years ago, I found her berthed in Barra Mexico.

As far as I know it's still owned by Boeing. I guess it's used as a corporate "sales" tool, hence those famous fishing locations.

I looked back through several pages and did not see this one posted. Although not a classic boat with interesting lines...an interesting "boat" none the less.

CAMI Terra Wind Amphibious Motorcoach - YouTube

Yes, very interesting, but is it full or semi-displacement, and where is the anchor? Single engine with a genset, no doubt. Draft? Running aground shouldn't be much of an issue.

How much more dough would one need to lay out just to impress the guys at the dock?

I looked back through several pages and did not see this one posted. Although not a classic boat with interesting lines...an interesting "boat" none the less.

CAMI Terra Wind Amphibious Motorcoach - YouTube

Pick up the gamblers. Go into international waters. Legal gambling... with other activities available in the master stateroom. That baby could be a FUN Money Maker.

Wonder how well she's handle 10' cresting waves - Blub, Blub, Blubbbbb :dance:

Yes, it replaced the original Daedalus/A and Eagle for the reasons I explained earlier.

It's used during the summer to host fishing trips for company customers. The original Daedelus was used on Lakes Union and Washington to host dinner cruises and meetings for company customers during the winter.

Nice classic lines of "Alexis"

Attachments

• alexis.jpg
    alexis.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 140
Yes, it replaced the original Daedalus/A and Eagle for the reasons I explained earlier.

It's used during the summer to host fishing trips for company customers. The original Daedelus was used on Lakes Union and Washington to host dinner cruises and meetings for company customers during the winter.

The original Daedelus, or at least a predecessor of the current one, came to Campbell River in the summer as well. I got to know the chef on the boat, who went so far as to rent a house in town so that he could bring his wife and kids up for the summer.

The original Daedelus, or at least a predecessor of the current one, came to Campbell River in the summer as well. I got to know the chef on the boat, who went so far as to rent a house in town so that he could bring his wife and kids up for the summer.

That would have been Chef John. He and the captain were the ones who hired me to write the book about the boat. At that time, Daedalus was based at April Point for the summer season. Guests were flown up to Campbell River and taken over to the Daedelus, which would then head out for Vancouver Bay near the Arran Rapids between Stuart Island and the mainland. After three days of fishing and other activities the Daedalus would return to April Point, the guests would depart and the next group would arrive.

Initially Daedalus remained at her dock in Vancouver Bay and the guests were flown in by floatplane. But it wasn't good for the boat to just sit all summer, so the captain initiated the idea of basing out of April Point and including the run to and from Vancouver Bay in the guests' itinerary. This proved to be extremely popular.

I don't know if the current Daedalus follows this same routine. The captain of the original Daedalus, Hal Burchard, helped select the new Daedalus for Boeing and served as her captain for awhile. He subsequently left to go over to Hawaii and operate the short-lived and controversial interisland ferry. He has since returned to the Seattle area but I'm not sure what he's doing these days.

Nor do i know if Chef John remained with the new Daedalus or has moved on to other things. He is an outstanding chef and during the winter months was in demand as a guest chef at some of Seattle's finest restaurants. The menu plans and recipes in the coffee table cookbook we created are fantastic and the book has become a collector's item.

This may have been it's first sail after extensive refit. As they haven't painted her new name yet.

Attachments

• Impromptu 2.JPG
    Impromptu 2.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 140
Nor do i know if Chef John remained with the new Daedalus or has moved on to other things. He is an outstanding chef and during the winter months was in demand as a guest chef at some of Seattle's finest restaurants. The menu plans and recipes in the coffee table cookbook we created are fantastic and the book has become a collector's item.

John was in my store last summer, I think, or perhaps the summer before. He did serve as chef on the new Daedelus. He is probably still. In a previous life, I worked in the produce department at the grocery store where he stocked his larder, so I would see him fairly often.

John told me he liked shopping for ingredients on Quadra because the "ex-hippie" gardeners grew such great stuff.

John told me he liked shopping for ingredients on Quadra because the "ex-hippie" gardeners grew such great stuff.
Ah geez those hippies again... I worked in Campbell River at the Super Valu grocery store. We had great produce. Maybe after it closed, ( long after I left) John gravitated to Quadra foods. Me, a hippie, not so much!

"Stiletto".

Herreshoff design.
Pretty slick. KJ

1429-albums194-picture1810.jpg

1429-albums194-picture1811.jpg

I saw this one and it does look very interesting to me.

Attachments

• Metal-Shark-South-Louisiana-Shipyard-News-Aluminum-Catamaran-Port-Pilot-New.jpg
    Metal-Shark-South-Louisiana-Shipyard-News-Aluminum-Catamaran-Port-Pilot-New.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 228
"Stiletto" looks very pretty! Nice for the show and tell of an itty bitty.

If I may Segway... Reminds me of a really skinny model strutting the fashion runway.

Great to ogle at flipping her tush while presenting nude back... but... just too darn breakable as things might get a bit overboard in the sack... err sea! :dance:

Happy 2015! :thumb:

I saw this one and it does look very interesting to me.

IMHO: Bout as pretty as a floating Sees Candy box. But, I bet it too has plenty of room for delectable inside treats! Shark is good name. Looks like it could eat other boats...

My son rode our waverunner and jumped the wake of this one from Oregon Iron Works. It is a new one for the Seals and SOCOM. Total stealth boat.

Unmasking The Columbia River's Mysterious Stealth Boats

View attachment 35907

One of those followed me in SF Delta a few months back. Funny thing was: I could see it in my rearview mirror on the bridge... but every time I turned to look it seemed to simply disappear. Linda told me I must be crazy. But no, I'm sure I caught glimpses in the mirror! :D

That story and a bag of chips will get you a seat in the nut house. :facepalm:

Happy New Years Day!

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1420135813.125356.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1420135829.122992.jpg

A research vessel turned into a luxury trawler

I will get some better pics when i take my boat out could not get fAr enough away

From The Wooden Boat Forum:

"Here is some more info - Fish Hawk Films was lucky enough to get some footage of the legendary STILETTO (1978) on Narragansett Bay. At 48' long and with a beam less than 7' wide, Stiletto is capable of running at up to 25 knots. This classic wooden rocket is based on the proportions of early US Navy torpedo boats. In 2011, Herreshoff Designs modified Stiletto for cruising on the East Coast and now she can usually be seen on the ICW between Bristol, Rhode Island and the west coast of Florida. The 250 BHP Yanmar engine burns only 4 gal/ hr at cruising speed so long distance cruising is very economical."

From The Wooden Boat Forum:

"Here is some more info - Fish Hawk Films was lucky enough to get some footage of the legendary STILETTO (1978) on Narragansett Bay. At 48' long and with a beam less than 7' wide, Stiletto is capable of running at up to 25 knots. This classic wooden rocket is based on the proportions of early US Navy torpedo boats. In 2011, Herreshoff Designs modified Stiletto for cruising on the East Coast and now she can usually be seen on the ICW between Bristol, Rhode Island and the west coast of Florida. The 250 BHP Yanmar engine burns only 4 gal/ hr at cruising speed so long distance cruising is very economical."

Great, and thanks! I was wondering the moving-stats on that beauty. Can you tell me: What is its 4 gal/hr "cruising" speed? And, what is its bottom design... have you bottom pictures?

Cheers! - Art

<Big Sigh> Yet another toy to add to my wish list for when I win the Lotto!

That is one sweet machine.

Art,

Sorry, but all I could find is the quote in the post above. I did find a photo of the bottom though.

I just can't seem to get enough of this boat for some reason.

Attachments

• 325843825_LMyoH-L.jpg
    325843825_LMyoH-L.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 597
Back
Top Bottom