View Single Post
Old 12-31-2014, 04:27 PM   #199
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Noelex how often do you think a Fortress would be likely to fail? I think it could be used as a primary 95 to 98% of the time. Wind and current changes should'nt be a problem unless higher wind speeds were expected or encountered. Then two anchors could be used except in crowded anchorages. And you'd know ahead of time if the Fortress was going to be inappropriate so could just deploy the backup anchor.
I think the only real reason Fortress anchors aren't widely used as a primary anchor is the bow pulpit or just plain bow anchor storage. It's just too darned easy to store and deploy the anchors that more suitable for that.
Also I think one could rig up an anchor chock that would hold a Danforth type flat on the bow w the anchor end of the shank at the top of the stem where most bow rollers reside and the rode end of the shank aft of that. The anchor could come up either way rotationally and would extend over the bow basically not at all. The stock bars would stick out on either side a bit but shouldn't present a problem. Would not be self launching for those that for whatever reason won't or don't come out on deck.

North Western Washington State USA