View Single Post
Old 12-31-2014, 10:32 AM   #64
Delfin
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
Delfin and Twistedtree,

I am not trying to win you over to "my side" - or pick a fight with you. The OP asked about 45-50' FD boats and whether to go with additional stabilization or not. I merely suggested that not ALL boats BENEFIT from additional stabilization - and you guys decided to refute my statement. But I'll say it again: A Great Harbour would not BENEFIT from additional stabilization. For many reasons - not least of which are the problems created by mounting fins. Fortunately, the naturally stable hull design allows them to travel safely in conditions that would REQUIRE external stabilization on most round-bilged boats. As to whether that motion would be preferable to that of a round-bilged hull with working active stabilizers? Personal preference and real-world comparisons might best determine that. But it would have to come from someone with a lot of sea miles on both types of boats. I can tell you that I have been subjected to those "12' beam seas" that Delfin mentioned for an extended passage offshore on a Great Harbour N37. It wasn't much fun. But I am pretty sure it wouldn't have been any fun in a Nordhavn/Krogen/what-have-you with active stabilizers either. Of course, absent or with malfunctioning fin stabilizers, I would question the ability of any round-bilged trawler to maintain that beam-sea heading.

I understand that you obviously have strong feelings about the style of hull and stabilization on your boat. No problem there. I am pleased that your choice of boats works so well for YOUR style of cruising. I am not trying to change your mind in any way. But there are other folks, like the OP, who may have legitimate questions about which type of hull might be best for THEM. In that case, denigrating the path Great Harbour has chosen to go with their hull - and with no practical experience on that style hull is doing a disservice to the Forum. But then, I'm just a salesman.
I guess you don't see the distinction between "would not benefit from" and "can't be accommodated". And while I can't speak for TT, I feel no particular need to defend the proposition that stabilized vessels roll less than unstabilized vessels. I was just correcting a statement that some vessels wouldn't benefit at all from stabilization of whatever form.

If the OP chooses a GH, or Manatee or Florida Bay Coaster he will no doubt love it because they are great boats. I doubt, however, that if he is in the beam seas that you encountered that you said was no fun would be seen by him as loads of fun, nor would he probably say that under those conditions it wouldn't be nice if the GH could be stabilized. Again, there is a difference between "can't" and "valueless".

Finally, having been in lots of beam seas of the size you encounter off Vancouver island I can tell you that Delfin is quite stable although the fins work hard. But then again, that is what active fins do - reduce roll to make the ride far more comfortable than it would be without.

Signing off.