View Single Post
Old 12-30-2014, 09:35 PM   #46
Delfin
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
The KK Manatee hull is quite similar in its acceptance of fin stabilizers. On the only application I know of, they do come out of the water. It's well known that the Manatee hull has better "initial" resistance to roll than say, a 42, but beyond a certain sea state, it is known to roll more.

There's a plethora of reasons why my first choice of boats would be a GH, but behaving like a true, stabilized vessel wouldn't be one of them. I think Codega came up with a combo that behaves like the hull it was inspired by....a design that resists roll.
There are lots of nice features of either a Manatee or a GH, but you are quite correct. Whatever those advantages are, they don't include a suspension of the laws of physics and those vessels will roll along with the seas, although certainly less than a round or fuller hull would, but also certainly more than a stabilized hull of whatever form. Having spent enough time in the open ocean on the West Coast of Vancouver Island on Delfin without having my wife's Sonicare toothbrush tip over when standing on end in the head I think I understand the function and effectiveness of active fins.