New guy from NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lars Doil

Vessel Name
Iron Eagle
Vessel Make
30' Fales Trawler
Hi, I'm Larry from NC.
I am planning on retiring in 2 years and decided to do the great loop as one of my retirement projects. As I felt my sailboat was too cramped to live on for several years and there was a bridge height limit on the loop, I recently purchased a 30' Fales trawler.
I've passed this site several times over the years and always felt that it was an excellent source of boating info.

Welcome to the site. Where do you keep the Fales? I live in Oriental and can give you some cruising tips to nice areas in NE NC.

That is a salty boat, somewhat like the Willard or Prairie. Should be very economical to cruise the LOOP on.

David

Welcome

great plans

I keep my sailboat in Whortensville. So I've done a lot of sailing around Oriental.
I'm keeping my sailboat and am thinking of getting a slip in Oriental.

Last edited:
The loop is in our plans too. Probably 2016 as things look now. No later than 2017. There's quite a world to be explored on the loop and we look forward to it all. I'm sure you've started reading blogs and guides and are already getting excited about it.

Who will be looping with you or will it be alone?

We lived in NC as well before moving to Fort Lauderdale in 2012 upon our retirement or semi-retirement or whatever it is we've done.

As it stands right now, a couple of friends, recently retired, are planning to join for part of the trip.
I started planning this adventure 2 yrs ago. Started looking for the right boat the first of this year. Finally found it in Oct. up in Maryland. Didn't get closed on the boat until the first of Dec. so I left it on the hard in Maryland. Will sail it down to Oriental the first of May.

Welcome aboard. Lots of people here who have moved from sailboats to trawlers for whatever reason. But probably most of the time for the same reason as I moved -- getting older, and just cannot handle the demands. As you surely well know, sailing is 90% boredom and 10% very strenuous. It is the 10% that I worry about. :)

I'm keeping my sailboat. Got the trawler to do the great loop cruise. My sailboat was to small to live on for several yrs. Plus there are several height limits on the great loop. Which means I would have to unstep the mast.

Welcome!
Also new owner. We're berthed up in Washington NC now having bought the boat in Oriental a month or so ago. Previous boat was also sail....Bristol 35.5. Pics of your Fales please! We'll probably pass each other as we plan to head to the Chesapeake (my old haunt) in the Spring..

IMG_0036-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Boat picture

Finally figured out how to add a pic of my "new to me" trawler.

Washington, NC is one of my favorite spots on the NC coast. What the city did with the river front is spectacular. Good restaurants and a great walk along the river.

Washington, NC is one of my favorite spots on the NC coast. What the city did with the river front is spectacular. Good restaurants and a great walk along the river.

Yup....And they revised their slip rates for this year so we'll be staying right on the waterfront for the season.. Your boat looks good!

Windmill-to everyone in NC, "Washington" is the Nation's Capital. The NC city is indeed almost universally known as "Little Washington".

Larry, great to have you on board. This site has a lot of knowledgeable contributors and no doubt you will become one as well. A good friend of mine from Beaufort had a Fales some years back and cruised it extensively. I to am from NC but have not found my cruising boat yet. Spent several years rebuilding a Chris Craft only to realize it wasn't the boat. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Don
"Steelydon"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom