Old 12-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
O C Diver
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
When I lived aboard in Annapolis, I got friendly with the marina owner.

Not sure what was true or not, but he led me to believe that Maryland was one of the first states that passed legislation concerning marinas and their subsequent sales as to use.

I thought it was almost impossible to convert to anything but marina like activity...and seeing the travel lift, it may even have to stay a working marina versus converting to a condo marina without facilities.

Hopefully someone up there might have the total scoop.
I'm pretty tight with the marina / boatyard owners where my trawler is being refitted. Maryland isn't big on boatyards (this may change with a Republican governor). The environmental regulations they are pushing on boatyards will make it extremely costly to do business. This isn't to say that they don't like marinas and the tax revenue they generate. It's just that the state would rather have boat repair done somewhere else. Many marinas in MD need the revenues and profits that the yards generate to stay in business. If your marina survives on the profits of the yard as opposed to the revenues from the marina, they may be responding to the regulation righting on the wall.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote