View Single Post
Old 12-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #12
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
Stop fighting it. I know they are expensive. I know they are not always practical, but get yourself that Defender and never look back.
Well, you're not going to get a Defender in the US unless you buy a used one that's one of the few that were imported in the mid-90s. Or you can import one from the UK as long as it's more than 25 years old.

And nobody's going to get a new Defender anywhere on the planet after 2015 because Tata Motors is taking them out of production by the end of the year.

The photos are of one of our two Land Rover vehicles. Both of them were bought new, this one in the same year our GB36 was made, 1973. The "dirty" photos are from 35mm slides I took in 1977 when I shipped the Land Rover to Oakland from Honolulu, met a friend who drove out from Virginia with his canoe, and we took the Land Rover to the Yukon Territories for a five week camping and fishing trip before driving back to Oakland and shipping the Land Rover home to Honolulu. Fourth picture is what the Alaska Highway was like in 1977. It's all paved now. Last photo is the same vehicle today.

This vehicle is why I am living in the PNW today. In fact it and even more specifically, the capstan winch mounted on the front, are directly responsible for everything that's happened in my life since 1977, from moving from Hawaii to Washington, to going to work for Boeing, to flying floatplanes, to writing books, to getting into boating here and in Europe. Amazing the effect a single, seemingly insignificant event can have........
Attached Thumbnails
P1050593.jpg   P1050601.jpg   P1050602.jpg   P1050608.jpg   Land Rover.jpg  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote