What's with Sorensen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
They look like terrific dinghy's -- up to 12 feet and with more freeboard than Livingstons. Stable, lightweight and cheap compared to a similar sized Whaler. But they don't seem to have a dealer network or any presence at all on the east coast. Their website . . . at least the one I visited . . . is a joke with no specs, pictures or details. The only promotional Youtube I could find shows a couple struggling to net a fish and the boat is relegated to the role of a prop. Besides their terrible marketing, does anyone know anything good or bad about these boats? And more to the point, does anybody have one?

Thnx

So far as I know, Sorensen has been out of business for years if not decades. We used to see them occasionally in our marina but I haven't seen one anywhere now for ages. Unless someone has revived the name, I believe they are long gone.

I don't know how well they were made. The one feature that impressed us was the additional freeboard over a similar sized Livingston.

But I can only assume there's a reason why there are still a zillion Livingstons around here even though they are no longer made here, but virtually no Sorensons.

Maybe so, Marin. There are a few listings for 2013/14 Sorensen models from a couple of dealers, but that may be old stock. Like you, I appreciate the significantly greater freeboard over some of the Livingstons I've seen. However, the Livingston 12T in this YouTube seems to ride high and dry (with 2 people).

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah...that 12 is a nice boat, higher freeboard too. Love to have one, but it's a bit too big and heavy for our plan. Maybe after the loop.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom