Xmas light synched to music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
Visiting the grand kids in Austin, TX we took an evening out and did the Xmas light tour. I was impressed by a couple of displays that cleaverly synched the lights to music. The music was broadcast on a short range FM station that is tuned into in our car.

Anyway it got me to thinking about doing this and the research I turned up was interesting. There are kits you can buy that pretty much does everything for you, but if you're into electronics, this apparently is something that a hobbist can do.

So here's my question. I would like to get into electronics as a hobby but don't have a clue where to start. It's my understanding that electronics hardware is now married to software run on a PC that gives it incredible versatility. That's how these light shows are done.

Anyway, anybody have any beginners books on electronics as a hobby and perhaps a forum you can suggest?

I used to do this. Look up Light-O-Rama I'm pretty sure they have a forum. It's all pretty easy to do. Jut time consuming once you get a whole lot of channels.

I use Light O Rama for Halloween. It's not hard, but the controller isn't cheap IIRC.

Oliver, you should hook up the LOR controller and some lights on your boat for the Lauderdale Christmas boat parade. Hook up a big sound system and some subs. That would be pretty interesting. I think we have a small boat parade here in Rockport. I might try it.

Like this
http://youtu.be/bLCrMhxvTa8

Last edited:
I use Light O Rama for Halloween. It's not hard, but the controller isn't cheap IIRC.

Oliver, you should hook up the LOR controller and some lights on your boat for the Lauderdale Christmas boat parade. Hook up a big sound system and some subs. That would be pretty interesting. I think we have a small boat parade here in Rockport. I might try it.

Like this
http://youtu.be/bLCrMhxvTa8

I sold my controllers awhile ago, not really into it anymore. Although I like putting up static lights.

Nice video Cardude.

I'm really looking for a beginners book on electronics and maybe a forum, any suggestions?

I'm far from knowledgable about marine electronics, or about electricity in general for that matter, so I'm really in the same boat as you. ?

N4712 here on the forum is a good resource if you have questions about Nav electronics specifically, or just other general electrical questions. He is wise beyond his years.

I also need a marine electrical "manual" or book so I can learn more.

If you just want info on lighting controllers there is a Light O Rama forum that's pretty active.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom