Fleming 55 versus Grand Alaskan 53

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Noah

Hello,

I am going to purchase one but can not decide in between this two yachts (Fleming 55 versus Grand Alaskan 53) and will be more than glad to have suggestions and comparisons...

Many thanks,

Mark
Soon to be a trawler owner-hopefully...

Both are 2002 , similar pricing , similar spec.s , Fleming has an extra room... But I could not decide ,which one is more sea-worthy , keeps its value longer , easy to maneuver and handle etc etc...
thanks,

This is way out of my league but I would go with the Fleming...if for nothing else, there is a family behind the name and the boat. That's all I got. They are both fantastic boats. But with Flemming, you are able to talk to the dude that bares the boat's name. That usually equates to good support and service. *It will also equate to better resale value down the road. *If they are equally priced, go Fleming!!! *You cannot go wrong with a Fleming!!!! *

Standby for Marin's narrative. *He is likely typing while I am typing this. *The Fleming is his dream boat!!!

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 27th of October 2010 07:51:16 PM

Baker wrote:

Standby for Marin's narrative. *He is likely typing while I am typing this. *The Fleming is his dream boat!!!
No, it's not my number one dream boat.* My number one dream boat is to make one of these (see photos)*out of fiberglass with a modern engine in it and living quarters in place of the fish holds.

But the Fleming is next highest on the list, even though Tony Fleming stole the design and Howard Abbey's master book on how to build a really good fiberglass boat from American Marine (Grand Banks) when he left that company to start his own.

Attachments

• aku boat 1.jpg
    aku boat 1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 185
  • aku boat 2.jpg
    aku boat 2.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 183
Do you really want a boat with the master forward getting all the noise, motion *and anchor rattle? But, the Alaskan vs the Fleming, no contest - Tony's boat!! What are the engine choices between the two??

I have "slobbered" over owning a Fleming since 1995. I ran into Tony Fleming some years ago in san Diego where he was commissioning hull #1 of the Fleming 75. He is a gentlman and loves cruising his own boats. Although I've seen comparable boats with more "pazaz", for great cruising comfort and safety, it's damn hard to beat a Fleming.

Attachments

• fleming 55.jpg
    fleming 55.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 248
SeaHorse II wrote:

I have "slobbered" over owning a Fleming since 1995. I ran into Tony Fleming some years ago in san Diego where he was commissioning hull #1 of the Fleming 75. He is a gentlman and loves cruising his own boats. Although I've seen comparable boats with more "pazaz", for great cruising comfort and safety, it's damn hard to beat a Fleming.
Ditto. It's the Fleming for me.

Although I am not a fast boat person (semi displacement) of the 2 I would prefer the Flemming.
Had a look over a 55 & a 65 recently and other than the 2 gross engines they were very nice boats. Well laid out and an incredible finish.

I think I would like one.
Benn

Thank you very much for your valuable comments....the choice is very clear now for me : Fleming,

thanks to the forum and everyone...Mark

If you can spring for the extra$ the 65 blows away the 55. The Flemming is a great choice but I have talked with owners of both and both were very happy.

The Flemming 55 & 65 are lovely boats, I had a good look over them both at the last Sydney Boat Show.The owner of the 65' told me that Tony Flemming is no longer involved with the company, not that this should influence your decision.I agree with 'Daddyo' the 65' is in another league to the 55, which initself is an impressive boat. Down here a new good spec 65' would set you back a bit over A$3M, ouch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom