View Single Post
Old 12-27-2014, 12:13 AM   #44
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Well, there you have it!

If anybody would like to come to Seward, Alaska and examine my 2001 Bayliner 4788 closely you are welcome to, so long as you compare item for item with other production boats.

Here's what you'll find...

*Cummins engines coupled with hurth transmissions
*Alumanium fuel tanks designed and installed so you won't have to replace them.
*Westerbeke generators (I have a Northern Lights though)
*Foam cored decks (no balsa to rot)
*A very well designed and executed doubble layer foam cored hull (No record of hull issues or even blisters on my model).
*Teak interior with some wallpaper
*Carpeted soles, except the galley
*An actual utility room for pumps, water heater, etc... with a watertight bulkhead separating it from the engine room.
*Standard marine appliances (princess stove, norcold fridges)

The list goes on and on guys. As much as we like to think "our boat" is better, they all have pretty much the same stuff making them up.

Some say that Bayliners are inexpensive boats. I would ask you to go look at yachtworld.com A Bayliner 4788 on Yachtworld ranges from a low of approx $150K to well upwards of $200K. Now go do a search for other 47' SD boats. Bayliner is right in the middle price wise. You can buy allot of really "famous" boats for allot less money than the same size Bayliner, and you can pay more as well.

As far as seaworthyness goes, Well... I boat in the pacific ocean, not the protected waters of anywhere else. The previous owner of my boat based it out of Newport Oregon, and used it as an offshore tuna fishing platform. For a SD hull form it handles just like the other SD boats I have run next to in the same seas. Yes a FD boat will generally handle rough water better, but thats not a Bayliner argumet now is it
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote